Speaker wire colour

mark type r

Advanced Member
Hi guys

Im in the middle of changing my speakers and im not sure which is possitive or negative?

Ive got:-

Grey & red

Yellow & green

Could you tell me which is which, not done the other side yet but i bet they're different colours as well.

Could someone please clarify

Thanks

mark type r

Advanced Member
Just to add, ive gone for it and it sounds good. No fires yet :wink:

For future reference i went for:-

Driver side - Grey with Red stripe - Possitive
Green with Yellow stripe - Negative

Passenger - Light Green - Positive
Green with Black stripe - Negative

Hope im right :green:

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
I can't remember the colours of the wires but they will technically "work" both ways. Only problem is if you have them wired one way for left and the opposite way for right then the sound from the speakers will cancal each other out and sound terrible. Did the wires not have the spay connectors on them? You should have one small connector and one large connector?

Matt.

mark type r

Advanced Member
Croccy said:
I can't remember the colours of the wires but they will technically "work" both ways. Only problem is if you have them wired one way for left and the opposite way for right then the sound from the speakers will cancal each other out and sound terrible. Did the wires not have the spay connectors on them? You should have one small connector and one large connector?

Matt.

The connectors were the same size in a block, so i couldn't figure out which way was which. I even looked all over the speaker to see if it had the + - signs on them but to no avail. They're the weirdest speakers ive ever seen! :xconfused:

The speakers are sounding good now so i think ive cracked it :green:

mikegsi

Staff member
Front Left:
(+) Green/Black
(-) Light Green

Front Right:
(+) Green/Yellow
(-) Grey/Red

Rear Left:
(+) Blue/White
(-) Blue/Black

Rear Right:
(+) Pink
(-) Blue/Yellow

HTH ;)

mark type r

Advanced Member
Cheers :green:

Ive got them both the wrong way round, they sound good though? Does it matter? :xconfused:

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
It's not completely the end of the world as long as all speakers in the car are all wired up the same way (This includes rear speakers and a sub if you have one).

However you will lose a small amount of bass if your speakers are wired backwards. This is due to the way speakers are designed and can emit a clearer bass tone by pushing the cone outwards rathers than sucking it inwards.

I would prob see about swapping them other otherwise it's always going to bug you wondering if it could sound just a little better :p

Matt.

mark type r

Advanced Member
Yeah i know what you mean, ive got a week off coming up so i think i'll have a car day and change them all round :wink:

Cheers :green:

mark type r

Advanced Member
Ive changed them around \:D/

Still sounds good, sitting in my car now with the laptop! Im almost in heaven, all i need is a page 3 model sitting next to me :lol:

mark type r

Advanced Member
Gave them a good D&B test, sounds good :green:

Cheers Mike, the info could do with being a sticky.