Speed Limiter Query

Goatwidcoat

My DC5 is still in km/h and factory limited to the 180km/h.

Is it possible to have the limiter removed and still stay in km/h? I assume the needle continues spinning past 180km/h in this case. I have a plug in GPS HUD that gives me the mph readout currently.

I quite like the originality of having it read in km/h and I can't be bothered with the faff of then keeping a record of the odometer and clocks going up differently when it comes to MOT time and peace of mind of true mileage for any future owner.

I only intend on doing a handful of track days a year but I was just hitting the limiter for a second on the straight at Donington last year and if I were to ever go to Silverstone or other fast circuits, I reckon I will be sat on the limiter quite a bit.

gaza4

Advanced Member
HKS SLD (Speed Limit Defender) is a simple unit wired into the ECU to delimit the car.
If you wanted something with additional functionality you could get an Apexi RSM

carl hammond

Advanced Member
My DC5 is still in km/h and factory limited to the 180km/h.

Is it possible to have the limiter removed and still stay in km/h? I assume the needle continues spinning past 180km/h in this case. I have a plug in GPS HUD that gives me the mph readout currently.

I quite like the originality of having it read in km/h and I can't be bothered with the faff of then keeping a record of the odometer and clocks going up differently when it comes to MOT time and peace of mind of true mileage for any future owner.

I only intend on doing a handful of track days a year but I was just hitting the limiter for a second on the straight at Donington last year and if I were to ever go to Silverstone or other fast circuits, I reckon I will be sat on the limiter quite a bit.
I know a converter to exactly this existed for the DC2, GT4's etc so maybe speak to the likes of BHP imports or Torque GT.

However there is no faff with converting and having a mix of Miles and KM if you have it done properly. If you get someone like Torque GT to do it for example they will give you a bimta cert, they will also convert the dials etc so for example:

Current mileage (in KM) is 100k km on the dials. They will convert this and it will show as 61,728 miles and this completely removes the faff of mixed miles and km.

My (ex-DC5) is a good example of this if you look at the MOT history online, imported by Torque GT, owner 1 wanted it to remain in KM and so it did, she part-ex'd it back to Torque GT and the second owner wanted it converted and so it was. The Bimta backed this, the MOT's tally and match the paperwork and the car was then in miles form then on and the odometer edited accordingly as above.

Look at the mot history for it (reg WD02 LXN) and you will see a good example of the change occurring later down the line due to owners wanting diff readings.

Doing this means you will be in Miles, properly reading, having the right number of miles (converted to show) and also a MPG restriction removed.

Goatwidcoat

I am 3 hours each way from both of those haha. Being in the Midlands is the worst spot to visit these but could make for a fun drive, especially down to Torque GT.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am not in a rush to do it soon but looking to have it in place from spring time onwards. Having a clean switch and a proper conversion is definitely the way to go.

Did you ever have an issue with the mph unit failing on you? I've seen the odd post here and there about it stopping working and causing issues but I presume this is a rare occurrence.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I am 3 hours each way from both of those haha. Being in the Midlands is the worst spot to visit these but could make for a fun drive, especially down to Torque GT.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am not in a rush to do it soon but looking to have it in place from spring time onwards. Having a clean switch and a proper conversion is definitely the way to go.

Did you ever have an issue with the mph unit failing on you? I've seen the odd post here and there about it stopping working and causing issues but I presume this is a rare occurrence.
No issues with mine ever, the conversion was done for the prev owner (Nathan) he had the car a good year or two), then I bought it and had it around 6yrs and it was always fine, accurate and no issues, the new owner has had it since April and it's all fine still as we're still in touch.

It was mainly used on track also so getting used hard (not that it would impact this part much) but it was driven hard, getting hot, smashed around so to speak and no issues ever with any of the conversion, I think the issues with them comes when people tinker around too much with those areas or parts, or buy cheap kits maybe.

I did the DC2 myself and it was a faff to do, a little fiddly, some soldering and so on, the DC5 was done before my ownership so I don't know what kit was installed, but it was deff Torque GT who done it and it was perfect :)