Speedometer Problems... need help please

JSR Type Ry

Hi everyone, My speedometer reads in mph.
recently my Speedo needle stays at 0 and when it does this the vtec doesn't kick in.
sometimes the needle does work but it doesn't read the correct speed the vehicle is going but the vtec works.
I have changed the VSS sensor but it hasn't fixed the problem.
Has anyone else had this problem or knows how to fix it?
thank you

20Drift

Members
Staff member
If it reads in MPH I'd assume you've got an inline converter which is probably on the blink - have you checked this?

JSR Type Ry

Thanks for the reply 20drift, Tbh I haven't checked this mate. would that stop the vtec from working then? I will have a look tho thanks

20Drift

Members
Staff member
JSR Type Ry said:
Thanks for the reply 20drift, Tbh I haven't checked this mate. would that stop the vtec from working then? I will have a look tho thanks
Wouldn't think so as there's a solenoid on the engine which engages VTEC based on oil pressure. There is a ground from that plug to the block which may be crusty causing intermittent VTEC. Actually thinking about it that may be why you've got intermittent speedo - I'd start by checking the grounds are good with a multimeter from your VSS, Conversion chip/box, speedo and VTEC Solenoid.

This is the workshop manual for our cars which should help with some troubleshooting as well: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dwm2qkmzy2n/%2528LINKED_Edition%252902-06_Acura_RSX_Shop_Manual.pdf/file

Section 11-286 (Page 577) shows what pins to test

20Drift

Members
Staff member
JSR Type Ry said:
thankyou very much man. I will take a look. legend!!
No worries! Let us know how you get on, would be interested to know the cause

rsmithinfo

Advanced Member
Be interested in your findings. My speedo is intermittent, but no VTEC issues. I think it's the mph converter, but need to find it first as it's not on the top of the gearbox

Mark_teg

Staff member
20Drift said:
Wouldn't think so as there's a solenoid on the engine which engages VTEC based on oil pressure. There is a ground from that plug to the block which may be crusty causing intermittent VTEC. Actually thinking about it that may be why you've got intermittent speedo - I'd start by checking the grounds are good with a multimeter from your VSS, Conversion chip/box, speedo and VTEC Solenoid.

This is the workshop manual for our cars which should help with some troubleshooting as well: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dwm2qkmzy2n/%28LINKED_Edition%2902-06_Acura_RSX_Shop_Manual.pdf/file

Section 11-286 (Page 577) shows what pins to test
Vtec only works if the ECU detects all the correct parameters- engine oil pressure is one of them but vehicle speed is another.

It seems some converters fail and the wiring to them can also be bodge jobs, so no two failures ar the same (hence some people lose vtec, others don't).

Honda electrics are generally really good (o2 sensors are maybe an exception). It's when they're messed around with it causes problems.

20Drift

Members
Staff member
rsmithinfo said:
Be interested in your findings. My speedo is intermittent, but no VTEC issues. I think it's the mph converter, but need to find it first as it's not on the top of the gearbox
Mines behind my speedo - from memory you can get it out by removing the plastics around the steering column, then there are two bolts holding it in on either side of the wheel

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Mark_teg said:
Vtec only works if the ECU detects all the correct parameters- engine oil pressure is one of them but vehicle speed is another.
Interesting didn't know this!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

rsmithinfo

Advanced Member
Thanks will check it out found a guide for the clusters.

It‘s why I knew my speed sensor is ok - VTEC and also that I can‘t engage reverse (the protective solenoid was blocking its selection) which it does over 12mph I believe. This was still working even when speedo was dead looking

JSR Type Ry

rsmithinfo said:
I think you are right mate, I think it's the converter. I'm going to order a new one. any recommendations on converter?

20Drift

Members
Staff member
rsmithinfo said:
I've found mine behind the cluster. Here it is:
http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/49627-robs-cw-integra-type-r-2001/page-4#entry495543

Connections seem OK so I might need a converter too. Mine is much slimmer than those found on gearboxes which are a chunky box.
My reply from the other thread:
I'd guess and say:

Red Converter = +12v
Black Converter = -GND
Yellow Converter = Signal from Gearbox/VSS
Gray Converter = Output to Speedo

An acquaintance with an R33GTST import had one of those fail and changed it out, but that was about 5-6 years ago so can't remember where he got it from! I know Torque GT can supply them though

JSR Type Ry

Thanks again for all your help guys.
I will let you know if this works.
I wish I found this forum before as you have been so helpful

rsmithinfo

Advanced Member
That‘s a good find if I do have to replace mine because it‘s small like my current one! Thanks.