Spoiler rattle?

phillll

Advanced Member
New to the DC5 scene and had my first rattle this morning. :xaiweb3:

I'm pretty sure it was the spoiler. Are they prone to rattling when it's cold and icy out?
Guessing it may have been water trapped under where it's attached to the car that froze over night?

Cheers all!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Sometimes they can. I had mine off to clean under once a few years ago, and most have a foam bit in between the spoiler and boot lid,....mine did not....and still doesn't. haha on a frosty morning is when I notice it most yes, but fine after that and doesn't really bother me. You can only really hear it outside on idle. but if you took ours off and put a piece of foam underneath I'm sure it would cure your noise. :)

phillll

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Sometimes they can. I had mine off to clean under once a few years ago, and most have a foam bit in between the spoiler and boot lid,....mine did not....and still doesn't. haha on a frosty morning is when I notice it most yes, but fine after that and doesn't really bother me. You can only really hear it outside on idle. but if you took ours off and put a piece of foam underneath I'm sure it would cure your noise. :)
I couldn't hear mine at all from outside or on idle, it was just whilst driving every now and then from inside.
When I got to work I had a look underneath the spoiler and can see some foam still in there so I guess it's just because everything was frozen.

If it carries on i'll whip it off and pop some double sided foam under there.

Thanks mate.

OliverV

wait, it is just foam under there?
i had double sided tape under it. took it off for cleaning and buffing the carbon trunk, but now thinking if i put it with double sided tape back or something foamy..

phillll

Advanced Member
Mine definitely looks like it has something thicker than double sided tape under there, not taken it off yet though.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
By foam its abit like the 3m stuff. Yes It might be a tape but it's going to have some cushioning effect to it to help eliminate vibrating noises. It will get squished and flattened over the years and slowly become less effective, its a sticky pad. Lol

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the oem stuff is double sided foam tape, its pretty sticky too, so after removing the 4 nots they can still be a wrestle to remove , when i took mine off we were looking for an extra bolt lol.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
The only time I ever hear mine is when it's windy, sounds like the spoiler is going to take off ha ha!

OliverV

i wonder.. for a carbon fibre trunk, a 3M double sided tape or the sticky foam? what would be the best?
the CF trunk flexes more than the metal trunk ofcourse..