Spoon Progresives

Wootty

Advanced Member
Which way up they supposed to go :?:

Just compared mine with Scottie's (oh er missus :wink: ) and my fronts have the open coil at the bottom yet Scottie have the closed coils at the bottom. Both seem fitted OK as the last coil runs into the capture notch in the bottom mount. The rears are both the same.

And another thing.....! Measuring the floor to wheel arch height (through the centre of the wheel) both measured 25" yet the floor to sill height on mine is 1" higher than Scotts. :shock:

Both seem to function OK so just asking to see if it makes any difference from a safety point of view.

Duncs

mine are fitted with the open coils at the bottom,
i guess this is the right way as i can't imagine spoon wanting their logo fitted upside down :?

SCOTTIECTR

Advanced Member
Well mine are fitted with closed coil at the bottom. The Spoon logo reads the right was up on the back but not on the front so whatever way they were fitted the logo would have been upside on one the same as it is now. :shock:

Wootty

Advanced Member
Scott

The ones at the back are the same on both our cars and the spoon logo reads the right way up. So i think they are OK.

The fronts on mine have the open coils at the bottom and the spoon reads the right way. Yours have the closed at the bottom but the spoon reads upside down. I think for 'correctness' they should be turned up the other way so the open coil is at the bottom, spoon reads the right way up - and more importantly - they last coil slots into the groove in the bottom mount. (dont know if they need swapping left to right to keep the coil turn the right way - but my little spring i just made out of a paperclip says they should just need flipping)

Not saying that mine are right and yours are wrong (nah nah ne nah nah!!!) but its up to you and the guys from Karma. If you want we can nip up there sometime together and they can look at both cars to compare - just pick a time :?:

SCOTTIECTR

Advanced Member
Wooty,

I would have thought that they'd have to be consistent though-closed coil at top or bottom on both springs, not a mish-mash of the 2?

sounds like a good idea about heading to Karma, I'll PM you about a time, but Saturday morning could be favourite?

Evil weasel had his fitted at Karma so will post up to see how his are fitted.

Cheer mate.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Hi you two, progressive springs will always have the more open coils at the bottom and the tighter coils at the top, its the tighter coils that gives the suppleness to the suspension.
If you look at the fixed rate springs you removed you'll see the difference.
Scott, the only difference to you is the spring cup/platform and the top cap maybe a slightly different size meaning the spring may not be sitting perfectly.(i'm not sure if there is any size difference)
They should only take an hour to change anyway.
I will be seeing Tom from Tgm tomorrow so will get his opinion.
Wooty the springs will settle down after a while.
Was there a post recently about fitting the sound insulators? some had and some hadn't,?? they don't come on spoon springs and need to be taken off the honda ones for noise reduction, will also reduce height by a couple of mm

SCOTTIECTR

Advanced Member
Cool, thanks, my rears have closed coil at bottom and front closed coil at top, heading to Karma at 4 to get them changed so would appreciate TGM's opinion by then if poss' thanks. :D

Wootty

Advanced Member
From my old college days i thought Mr Newtons 3rd law of motion rattled on about equal and opposite forces and equilibrium etc. So if a spring is fixed at one end and is compressed from the other then it will deform equally which ever way up it is. The closed coils at one end just give it a non linear k rate (force/mm deflection).

So i think the issue is more of safety so that the first and last coils sit properly in the cups. Not really worried about which way up the word spoon is. Though if i was a sales rep i'd want it to read properly.

I think we'll have some fun at
Karma Imports this evening - better get my progressive spring visualisation tool out (bent paperclip to you!) :lol:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
After a long discussion with Tom we couldn't really decide if the springs would perform any differently which ever way up they were, however it is possible they dont sit correctly in the cups if they are upside down so they should be changed for safety/ peace of mind.

SCOTTIECTR

Advanced Member
All changed now, so mine have the closed coil at the bottom on the rear and closed coil at top on front.

Thanks,

Scott