Spoon sports side mirror glass done properly DIY

C2AXG

Advanced Member
Ok so I just changed my mirror glass as they where water marked to buggery and sick of people blinding me from behind on the motorway! The rear view mirror made a massive difference so I'm hoping these will tie it all in! Did I mention they look the nuts!

So first of all you need to push the mirror in from the top in the middle so the bottom edge is fully out.
There is then 2 clips holding the backing plate to the mirror plate. Labelled D on this drawing....

Once these are released with a screwdriver by just pushing up and towards the mirror glass it should pop out of the clips! Now you need to pull from the bottom, there will be slight resistance as there is a tiny amount of adhesive holding them on also. Keep pulling carefully untill the mirror glass is sitting at a 45 angle then just pull down and away from the mirror housing!

Mirror glass out...

Take this opportunity to polish and clean the inside of your dirty mirror housings and sweep out all the spiders and cobwebs ( we all have spiders in our mirrors right?!?)
Next you need to boil a saucepan of water untill it's boiling
(No salt needed)
Once the water is bubbling submerse the mirror glass and plastic surround for 20/30 seconds....
This should soften all the oem glue from the glass yo plastic backing plate and make the backing plate soft enough to pop the glass out. (Do this gradually and work your way around the housing popping it out as you go)
Safety gloves and glasses are advisable as is your other half being out so she doesn't see car parts being boiled in nice clean pans! Lol

Next you need to clean up the backing plates, add a few blobs of stickaflex or araldite to the backing plate. I done this in 4 places.
The new spoon mirrors have a self adhesive pad on them so this can be used Along with the stickaflex for added stickiness! 👍🏼.
Slide the new glass in so it sits inside the backing plate outside edge first then carefully push it into the backing plate so the edge of the backing plate sits over the new spoon glass stopping it from falling out!
Stand back and admire your work!

Now you can wait for the adhesive to go off leaving pressure on the mirror glass for an hour or so..
(While curing wash up or stick the saucepan in the wash to hide the evidence)
then go ahead and fit them to the car in the reverse order they came off!

Da daaa! Spoon sports mirrors in 15minutes

Rom

Advanced Member
The first picture, looks like something out of a catalogue lol.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
Great job! I really want some of these, love the Blue tint. Let me know how they are at night please! :)

C2AXG

Advanced Member
They are just epic at night. I've literally had to fold my mirrors in on motorway journeys sometimes the glare was that bad.
Now I don't even notice any lights from behind unless I look and when i do look I just get 2 headlights and no blinding effect! Perfect! 👍🏼

Kev.W

Advanced Member
This will be useful next week when I fit mine!!

I've also brought the Spoon Sport interior mirror too any one how these fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
Kev.W said:
This will be useful next week when I fit mine!!

I've also brought the Spoon Sport interior mirror too any one how these fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I followed the guide above although I broke one of my OEM ones trying to remove it from the mirror casing. To fit the Spoon glass I put the plastic in the oven at 150F for about 5 minutes, peeled the tape off the Spoon glass and they literally just fell into the plastic with the lips around the glass. I then placed a cloth over the front and placed some weight on top till they cooled down.

Refitting was a bit awkward to get the plastics to clip back in. Just take your time and don't press too hard :D