Squeal on vtec engagement

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Hey people.

Need abit of help, time to time when I engage vtec I get a loud squeal.

Can't in the love of me figure out where it's coming from??

So... It sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side.
I thought it was the aux belt but it's a self adjusting tensioner and doesn't do it all the time and only when engaging vtec.
More so on full throttle but has been starting to happen even on just over half throttle
Doesnt matter if hot or cold.
Had a new Honda oem aux belt fitted summer last year.
Last the hole of vtec engagement.

I'm thinking of replacing the tensioner, or might just have to take it down to tgm and see if Tom has any idea, but thought il ask first.

I did try and get a video so took a mate for a drive engaged vtec it squeaked, then asked him to video it and what you know......nothing. Doing my head in....
So before I get it booked into a garage does anyone have any idea?

Much appricated

Alex.

Rom

Advanced Member
If you can reliably repeat it. You could try it without the aux belt. But you can only do this very briefly as the water pump wont be running. So not much help if its only sometimes. But you could do a quick first gear vtec run and be ok, just watch temp. Ive often started cars with no belt, even no coolant.

Does it sound like a belt type squeal ? You can try loading the belt as much as possible, aircon, heated screen, lights, fans on high etc. This will increase alternator and belt load.

Iver heard mounts and stuff make some odd noises, but not usually prolonged.

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Cheers for the reply bud, yeah it does sound like a belt type squeal. Im thinking like a pully squeal if that's even possible,

But cheers mate will try that tomorrow, will drive with all of the above on and engage vtec and see if the noise is still there. Will report back.

Going to PM you somthing on fb dude

HR Imports

Parts Trader
Could it be your tyres Alex? :D

Sorry couldn't resist. Certainly sounds belt related. I think if it was mounts it would more likely be pulling away rather than at crossover. Hope you get it sorted bud :)

Rom

Advanced Member
HR Imports said:
Could it be your tyres Alex? :D

Sorry couldn't resist. Certainly sounds belt related. I think if it was mounts it would more likely be pulling away rather than at crossover. Hope you get it sorted bud :)
Budders kept saying she had a horrible noise, though not a squeal. Finally i went and listened to it, would happen at crossover, and stay throughout vtec range. Was pretty clearly a mount to me. Back to workshop, front mount was fooked. Wouldnt knock on take up of drive, or gear change. But vtec made it rattle / vibrate something fierce!

Though with a squeal, you could well be right.

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
little update, doing what rom said above and trying to repeat it, so after doing a couple of runs on a private road, seems like if I turn on the aircon, it doesn't squeal when I engage vtec, as soon as I stopped and turned the aircon off it then squeals.....??. going to change the tensioner anyway unless anyone has any other ideas, I shall report back after Hondafest.

Rom

Advanced Member
Ive not looked, but i assume they run a magnetic clutch setup on the ac compressor. So its basically free wheeling when AC is off, then when engaged the clutch locks the 2 together. So in theory, nothing changes other than the compressor turns as well as the pulley.
It would put more load on the system, which usually makes noises worse.

Didnt i read somewhere that ac disengages at a certain rpm on these? Or possibly even with vtec? To stop power being drawn away. I could well be wrong, just have a feeling i read something about it.