stall, 1st gear pressed at junction

jown

Advanced Member
Hope someone might know what the problem is

Its happened twice now!

Was sitting at a junction in 1st gear (clutch fully pressed down) and out of no where the car stalled and I honestly felt like someone rear ended the car

I took the car out of gear and started it, attempted to select 1st again and it wouldn't go into gear or any for that matter

After about 20 seconds it finally went into gear and I managed to get to my friends place, I checked over the car and couldn't find anything suspect

Both reservoirs are full
Checked master cylinder (no leaks above the pedal)

After driving to my friends I had no issues with select gears.. very strange

Could the issue be the clutch or release bearing?

Thanks in advance

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Sounds like clutch to me when it's hot, I had similar in 3/4 that when cold it would engage fine, when hot it was like it was blocked off. I kept using the car and then on track it got worse as the day went on and then I ended up loosing more gears.

New clutch and flywheel and job done, that's the only thing I could think it would be and maybe the clutch is popping out as it's knackered...

jown

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Sounds like clutch to me when it's hot, I had similar in 3/4 that when cold it would engage fine, when hot it was like it was blocked off. I kept using the car and then on track it got worse as the day went on and then I ended up loosing more gears.

New clutch and flywheel and job done, that's the only thing I could think it would be and maybe the clutch is popping out as it's knackered...
Thanks for replying Carl

I read something similar last night on rsx forum and thought about replacing the clutch

Do you think it will last long if I'm only using the car for work (5 mile journey)

The gearbox is smooth and engaging all gears fine, bite point on the clutch is also low

Thanks

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks for replying Carl

I read something similar last night on rsx forum and thought about replacing the clutch

Do you think it will last long if I'm only using the car for work (5 mile journey)

The gearbox is smooth and engaging all gears fine, bite point on the clutch is also low

Thanks
Honestly no idea, depends how far gone it is, mine was going for a while but never had any major noticeable issues as it was 3rd to 4th, as soon as I got it on track and heat through it I killed the lol pretty much and only just made it home then to tgm for the replacement and a flywheel also.

Fez

Advanced Member
I had this before in a different car, a part of the clutch had broke away and was sometimes getting stuck