Standard balljoint replacement - solution

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
I had euro ar parts ones that didnt fit then had hard race ones that again didnt fit ended up with the tegiwa extended ones which seem to be doing the job now

richyf

Saw the tegiwa ones when looking today. How long have you had them on?

Ronnie are the ones you got the same as the ones in the link I posted?

Thanks guys.

Marky.

I have just tried to fit the 05/06 RSX Hardrace ball joints and they are also too small. Also had another set from Hardrace before that said they‘d fit but didnt‘t.

I‘m going to order some BB6 prelude ones and see if they fit. I‘ve measured the diameter of the old ball joints though and it‘s 43.5mm while the preludes say they‘re 43mm. Hoping that isn‘t the case.

Has anyone got a link to some they‘ve used and have fitted successfully?

Beginning to get frustrated now though as I‘m missing out on all this good weather the last few weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronnie31

Sorry guys i just got ebay ones for around 25sheets.

It was from an ebay account I no longer have access to so cant find link. I think if if search honda prelude bb6 balljoints they are first ones to appear.

Since fitting them ive done a few trackdays and no issues.....other than my friends dc2 with a decent spec engine sailing by

DonC576

Righto lads, the Prelude ball joint you need to fit the DC5 is the 43.5mm part no. 51220-S30-N21. You can get them from Honda for £80 or so.

https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/assignment_spare_parts/51220S30N21

They were a weaker part that needed replacing with a beefier upgrade on a lot of the earlier BB6 Preludes. The Ebay links above are for the 43mm 51220-SL5-013 replacement. Both are bottom ball joints as the Prelude BB6 has in some specs two bottom ball joints on each side. I did try the balljoints in the Ebay links and they were too small at 43mm. We need 43.5mm. So the 43.5mm Blueprint version is ADH286146.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/93-06652-RTS-LOWER-BALL-JOINT/273194590315?hash=item3f9baaa06b:g:0a0AAOSwgcVa7OVq

Prices vary from vendor to vendor, I've seen them for £14 on Eurocarparts. The reason I used that pricier Ebay link was to show the 43.55mm diameter.

These are in my car now and are perfect. You'll need a taller m14 x 1.5 castle nut or just get yourself a good self locking nut.

HowRustyIsYours?

I've just signed up to the Forum after seeing a lot of useful info on here since acquiring my 2001 DC5R in March!

Don thanks for the info above on the genuine Honda ball joint. You mention the genuine Prelude part needed upgrading to a beefier version. Is 51220-S30-N21 the "weak" part which needs upgrading, or is this an upgraded Honda part which was made available to fix the issue? Sorry to be pedantic, just don't want to pay the premium for a genuine part if it is known to have issues!

Thanks

DonC576

HowRustyIsYours? said:
I've just signed up to the Forum after seeing a lot of useful info on here since acquiring my 2001 DC5R in March!

Don thanks for the info above on the genuine Honda ball joint. You mention the genuine Prelude part needed upgrading to a beefier version. Is 51220-S30-N21 the "weak" part which needs upgrading, or is this an upgraded Honda part which was made available to fix the issue? Sorry to be pedantic, just don't want to pay the premium for a genuine part if it is known to have issues!

Thanks
Yes indeed, that's the part number of the upgraded beefier part. I have those on my DC5 and they are spot on. You'll have no hassle with those.

itrdc5mfk

Apologies for the thread revival but I need a pair of front lower ball joints for my Teg too and was wondering if anyone have got some off AutoDoc?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

badman9

Hi all
I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone on this thread, especially DonC576. Pulled the front of my 2004 DC5R to change clutch and realised one of the ball joints was super wiggly. Couldn't find any locally and certainly didn't want to change a whole knuckle for the sake of one ball joint.

I can confirm that in my application, 51220-S30-N21 43.5mm is the go. I couldn't find the original honda part anywhere local or online in the US (which would save me downtime on the vehicle) so went with the Moog equivalent MOOG K500215 . Just to confirm,. I tried the 43mm 51220-SL5-013 first and it doesn't fit, but the 51220-S30-N21 is the one you need.

I know Moog isn't as good as OEM honda, but i'll keep an eye on it over the next year or two and see how it holds up.

Thanks again