Start up noise and wet rear carpet

Raverdc5

Hi I’m considering buying a 2003 c pack. On start up there was about a 0.5 second grind right as the engine started, almost like a sticking starter motor.
Then I noticed the rear carpet behind the drivers seat was wet. The owner has found the seam sealer has lifter back there under the car.
The issue I have is the car has been under sealed and there’s no evidence of this process or what condition the car was in. To me lifting seam sealer and wet carpet and a sealed underbody could mean major issues. Anyone experienced this?b0a9ea4e-ed2f-4dc1-bc1c-37a228754b79.jpeg2bca59f4-3dde-49d4-be41-2f6d07375f03.jpeg

DE4NO

The start up noise is common to most K20 engined cars, and although sounds ‘bad’ it doesn’t cause any issues. As you said its the starter motor staying engaged for a second or so too long. Happens on most cold starts.

These cars are known to leak from a few areas. The main one is the rear light seals and this causes water in the boot and spare wheel well. Other areas are the seam sealer in the roof gutters. This can crack causing water ingress which can then run into different areas of the car.