Steering issue

G_lud3

The car in question is a 2006 RSX Premium (Canadian model. Not a Type S or Type R)

With both front wheels off the ground:
- If I grab the wheel (driver or passenger) at 3-9, I'm able to move the wheel inward and outward.
- Both wheels have about 1" in play.
- While doing so, I can see my steering wheel moving as well.

The outer tie rods have been replaced, the inner tie rods have not been changed yet.
Before I go out and get new inner tie rods, how am I supposed to check to see if they're good?

The part where both inner tie rods meet, I can see that going from left to right.
Is any of this normal? And is the shock supposed to move as well when I'm doing the 3 & 9 test?

Also, steering related:
- Sometimes, it feels like the steering is pulsing/kicking back slightly when turning.
- I hear a clunking noise from the front. Not sure if all of this is related.
- Theirs a bit of free play or what's known as a dead spot in the wheel (~1 inch).

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:
My car is doing almost the same thing as shown here (my wheel doesn't move that easily or much) and I'm on the JDM DC5R suspension.

Last edited:

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.
Any movement at 12 and 6oclock usually indicates wheel bearing wear. Yours however looks more worrying. That's a lot of movement the like I've not seen before.
It looks to be a bit more than a wheel bearing problem. Hope you find the answer.
Regards.

G_lud3

Hi.
Any movement at 12 and 6oclock usually indicates wheel bearing wear. Yours however looks more worrying. That's a lot of movement the like I've not seen before.
It looks to be a bit more than a wheel bearing problem. Hope you find the answer.
Regards.
The video isn't my car. My wheel moves the same way (inward/outward) but no where as bad.

I'm starting to think it just might be the strut.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
The video isn't my car. My wheel moves the same way (inward/outward) but no where as bad.

I'm starting to think it just might be the strut.
Hi.
Got it now. Hopefully yours can be put right without major worries.
Regards.