Steering wheel shaking after 60MPH

Mbk786

Advanced Member
Okay so i fitted my new wheels and tyres on, got them all balanced; but my car was too low and it rubbed around corners (that was only the problem initially)

so i fitted new tein springs which where a bit higher, and rubbing stopped, today i got my alignment done as it was out by loads and steering wheel was shaking after 60mph...

BUT, the steering wheel is still shaking after 60mph even after getting alignment done.

Does anyone know what it is ?

will be getting my wheels balancing checked again tomorrow by a different garage.

Bally_Jdm

Advanced Member
Believe it's a wheel balancing issue. I'm aware that garages can have tolerances / ratings of wheel balancing? Is this correct? I.e they balance the wheels upto 100mph after it can become noticeable they aren't well weighted?

nellly

Advanced Member
get they do double check. i had to take mine to a different garage in the end as the original place just couldn't balance them correctly. i guess the dc5 is just very sensitive to wheel balance issues.

Alex.J

Advanced Member
If there aftermarket wheels, you might need spigot rings..

If the wheels are not fastened up in the correct manor, it can cause them to do these..

Mbk786

Advanced Member
Alex.J said:
If there aftermarket wheels, you might need spigot rings..

If the wheels are not fastened up in the correct manor, it can cause them to do these..
i have spigot rings will be going today to a different garage

Mbk786

Advanced Member
nellly said:
get they do double check. i had to take mine to a different garage in the end as the original place just couldn't balance them correctly. i guess the dc5 is just very sensitive to wheel balance issues.
thanks yeah will be going to a different garage today

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I found one of my local garages just couldn't balance my wheels no matter what they tried, claiming that on a normal car you wouldn't notice 5 or 10 grams out.

Went to another, asked them to "dynamically balance them to 0" and spot on first time. Always go there now, really interested in the car and take there time.

You are running EVO wheels aren't you? You say you have spigot run but do you have EVO flaf seated wheel nuts too?

Rom

Advanced Member
As said, 5 - 10 you wont normally notice....IF they are even each side.
So if the machine wants 50g inner and outer, you fit, re spin, now wants 10g inner 10g outer. You wont normally feel it.
I never fit wheels that want say 0g inner 10g outer. Its just not worth it, they might not feel it. But why risk a come back for the sake of doing it again.

Balancing wheels is easy, providing they know the machine well. You'd be amazed how many techs dont. There is usually no instructions, and just another tech teaches you however he does it, not necessarily the right way.
Im sad enough that ill Google the instructions if possible. As if you dont know exactly what your doing, it can be a nightmare.

Swapping wheels to the back is generally the first step you can take to prove its balancing.

Mbk786

Advanced Member
PROBLEM SOLVED:

Basically the garage i got my wheel balancing done from initially never removed the old weights and tried to counter balance with putting more on, which caused the shaking (idiots)...

So went to a proper garage paid £15 more than before but hey got it done properly... Lesson learnt dont go to little side garage who dont know what they doing pay a bit more and go to known proper place.

Mbk786

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
I found one of my local garages just couldn't balance my wheels no matter what they tried, claiming that on a normal car you wouldn't notice 5 or 10 grams out.

Went to another, asked them to "dynamically balance them to 0" and spot on first time. Always go there now, really interested in the car and take there time.

You are running EVO wheels aren't you? You say you have spigot run but do you have EVO flaf seated wheel nuts too?
yeah i got the evo flat seated wheels nuts too

Bernard777

Iv just got my dc5 wheel alignment done with 2 new toyo tyres on front but im getting wheel shake at about 60mph and on hard acceleration from a standing start any ideas I changed wheels around already