'Stiff' gearchanges?

RunsWithScissors

Got a bit of a problem with my DC5‘s gear changes and wondered if anyone could give me any assistance so that I change the right bits….

Firstly car has 80k, clutch fluid/ box oil just changed, only had car 2 months.

When pressing on and starting to rev to the wrong side of 8k and really working the gearbox the gears become difficult to engage and disengage, the gear change is really stiff and really detracts from the joy of working the car up and down the gears. Not like your usual crisp Honda box (I‘ve had lots of fast Hondas before) which is usually a lovely smooth mechanical feel. Its also crunchy into 3rd (and can be in any other gear for that matter if you don‘t really bury the clutch into the firewall when changing and give it the synchro a second or so to catch up).

The clutch felt low when I got the car so I immediately refreshed the gear oil with some Amsoil manual synchro fluid as recommended to me by opie oils and I also refreshed the clutch fluid. I still need to adjust the clutch (as I know you can undo the bolt on the back of the pedal and manually increase clutch travel), problem is I think my issues are much more deep rooted than this, although the clutch is still pretty low on the bite point.....

If driven normally gears are notchy but generally are ok, even driven at 7tenths the car is ok, occasional crunch and the box is a bit sloppy in comparison to previous hondas but ok. Its just when the car is battered 100%, operating the box feels like trying to flip a bull.

I personally feel like the box needs a rebuild but really would like to avoid this if possible, although it feels like I‘m just avoiding the inevitable.

Could it be clutch related?

Brockstar89

Advanced Member
I had a heavy clutch, and struggled to get in to and out of gears at high revs. Plus the bite point was low.

Clutch changed and its like butter now when changing gear, the clutch is super light as well.

:D Nice one Automek

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
First thing I'd be doing now is changing the clutch.

You've done the box fluid so it's kind of next in line.

What you describe is how our cars display a dying clutch, they don't normally slip but crunch into gears and very difficult to engage at high revs.

Good news is a genuine Honda clutch isn't too expensive, about £150. Bad news is its a tricky one too fit. About a 5 hour job.

RunsWithScissors

Cheers fellas, thats fairly good news then, in comparison to a gearbox rebuild! Ill give it a try and post up my results for future reference. Thanks again :)

RunsWithScissors

How difficult is it changing the clutch yourself? Is it worth getting a garage to do it?

Bearing in mind im not a mechanic but have done quite a few clutches in the past, I have removed and replaced engines etc...

Although if i can find someone else to do it cheaply enough I would rather avoid the ballache. My mate used to have an EP3 and said the easiest way to get to the clutch was removing the whole engine....

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I wouldn't have said there is any need to remove the engine.

I did mine on my EP3 with a mate, but I was lucky enough to have the car up on a ramp.

Basically disconnect lower ball joints and anti-roll bar, drop subframe. Undo gearbox and remove. I think there is a fairly detailed guide on CTRO. I won't personally fancy doing it on the driveway, but it is definitely doable.

RunsWithScissors

Ended up just adjusting the clutch rod a couple of turns last night and its given me absolutely loads more movement on the pedal. It really makes a lot of difference. Mate did his on his charged EP3 as well but his was a lot more difficult even though the layout of the cars is pretty much identical?

Its worked though. Clutch feels like new :)

.....For now!

Cheers lads.

paul hughes

gear selection problems if they have started after the fitting of a clutch are usually the fitters fault, by not setting up the play properly in the bell housing and the pedal box. not many ad hok fitters know how to set the play on honda clutches.

gradually occuring causes could be greabox bush issues, or selector gate issues. inside the box.
:)

Cant give on line training course on this one unfortunately.

misterteggy

paul hughes said:
gear selection problems if they have started after the fitting of a clutch are usually the fitters fault, by not setting up the play properly in the bell housing and the pedal box. not many ad hok fitters know how to set the play on honda clutches.

gradually occuring causes could be greabox bush issues, or selector gate issues. inside the box.
:)

Cant give on line training course on this one unfortunately.
What do you have to do to set up the play in the bell housing and pedal box? Is this just something you noticed yourself or is there an actual procedure one should follow to set the "play"?

paul hughes

you should just take it to someone who knows what they are doing, sorry but there is no on line answer to this.