Stock brake pads

Splink

Advanced Member
Hello,

I am taking my car in to have the brakes done by my local Honda dealer. I do not have the facility to change them at my house unfortunately, so I think this is the only alternative at the moment.

Are the stock pads suitable for street use, or should I forget Honda's parts, and find my own brakes, and find someone to install myself?

T666YPR

I recently had my car serviced with an oilchange and front pads replaced after doing 4 trackdays on the originals.They had loads left on but had gone all "grindy metal,embarrassing at traffic lights" cooked.Cost me £300 all in,so I'll get my own pads next time(after I get around to changeing the discs & brakelines)

Honda pads are fine for on road but on track they get hot too quick for my liking.

Splink

Advanced Member
Well that set my mind at rest a little bit.

I am assuming that the brakes are now ok for you and you are not getting that sound anymore.

I wont use these brakes on the track, as I am not taking the car to track yet, I just want it sounding ok when I am driving around town :) If it is going to cost that much, then I am sure id feel better getting my own brakes and putting them on.

David Johnson

Parts Trader
Standard DC5 front brake pads cost around £124.00,if the dealer hasn't got stock,they can take up to 6 weeks to arrive but i've known them to arrive sooner

Dave Johnson
Steels Honda
Hereford
01432 267154

T666YPR

Just to clarify;the price of pads + fitting plus the service (including oilchange + oil filter) came to £300.

The pads took just a couple of days to come in apparantly,which was nice :D

Brakes are now better than ever :D

Splink

Advanced Member
I am assuming that they cannot fit s2000 or civic r brakes onto them ?

These are just the front ones I am talking about.

T666YPR

EP3 CTR pads definately don't fit the front,as that's what they tried first.

That's the reason I know the correct pads only took a couple of days to come,because I had to go back in again.

Splink

Advanced Member
they said to me it was a "special order" and takes 4 days ..

rekon im being told donkey doo dars ? :)

jonster

Advanced Member
Tom at T&G (Fleet, Hants - 01252 811972) sold me a front set of Ferrodo DS2500's for £87 plus £30 fitting a while back (July). I've done about 6 track days with the original stock pads from new and they lasted 30K miles. The wear is obviously down to driver style. I tend to engine brake more than use the brakes or maybe I just don't used them very much on the track. I've never had a problem with stock pads and I would buy them again. I just tried the Ferrodo's for a change. I think Mark and Franz have found the Ferrodo's a bit fierce and have warped their disks with them and generally prefer Hawk pads. They have ran half-slicks and have needed to brake more heavily than me though. Tom supplies all three types.

If you over brake on the track, you can cook the resin out of the pads and they then squeal around town. They will never be as good in this state.

Jon

Splink

Advanced Member
man !!!!

just called honda and they are on back order and taking 4-6 weeks for delivery !!

suppose its good coz it means that I can spend the money on beer instead :)

David Johnson

Parts Trader
Brake pads & discs

Hi All

Been away on hols for a week,so i'm just catching up postings
Brake pads will take about 4/6 weeks but have been known to arrive within 10 days(p/n 45022 s6m j52) ??,brake discs are available overnight from honda europe(45251s6ma10) ?? Can't confirm these p/n's without checking first

Regards
Dave Johnson
Steels Honda
01432 267154

Ps
Its cold back here in the uk,but glad to be back home in my own bed!!!

Splink

Advanced Member
Thanks dave.

I managed to get the part numbers for the brakes through and they are the correct part numbers.

They have them in stock already :eek: and im taking it in on the 18th to have fitted...

CAI, and manifold next i think :)

phil_444

Advanced Member
I can reccomend the Apex 400 pads which Taka Kaira can have over here within a week or so..