Stock DC5 sudden misfire, not starting.

adam-r

Hi Guys,

Recently bought a DC5, all seems good, service history, 1 owner who looked after the car. 2001,198kms,completely stock.

After driving the car all day, just as I pulled into my driveway (luckily) the car developed a sudden misfire and then just died completely and now won't turn over.

After some digging on the forum here it seems that coil packs can cause this issue from time to time.

Has anyone ever experienced this? The fact it was running on 3 cylinders before dying would likely indicate the coilpacks too right?
Any help is much appreciated

Adam

badeshi

Advanced Member
Haven't had exactly that but worth pulling out spark plugs and checking connections/wiring? I always thought the coil packs were fairly robust but does sound like could be to blame.
Battery/alternator ok?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ste01

Advanced Member
Not had it on my DC5 but sounds like when a coil pack went on a VW I had about 10yrs ago

adam-r

Cheers for the reply mate. Busy day today, going to investigate physically today/tomorrow.

adam-r

Upon removing the coilpacks and wrapping them in insulating tape, nothing has changed. The car just won't turn over. It sounds like it will Start but just won't.

The insulating tape trick worked to identify the coilpacks as the culprit on my R33 gtst.

Anybody got any other ideas? Is it possible to flash these ecu's by bridging 2 points like the older Honda ecu?

adam-r

I hope not. Its quite odd. One thing I noticed is that the car battery is absolutely TINY, going to try another battery tomorrow before going crazy pulling things apart.

No CEL showings whatsoever after flashing the ECU

ep3itrdc5

Advanced Member
unlikely to be coilpacks or plugs for the car not to start at all, its unlikely all would have failed to prevent some sort of starting,

adam-r

Fez said:
Did you take the plugs out and check them when the coils were out?
Yeh, plugs seemed okay.

ep3itrdc5 said:
unlikely to be coilpacks or plugs for the car not to start at all, its unlikely all would have failed to prevent some sort of starting,
I did think that originally, as I've had coilpacks and lambda sensor go on my Skyline simultaneously and it still started and drove.

The battery is what I'm going to try next, after that I'll have to check the starter motor, crank sensor etc

To give a bit of Background, this Dc5 has had a VERY easy life for 198km, and in the last week or so it has probably experienced more hard driving than in the last 12 years.

I did notice the needle on the rev gauge was a bit jumpy before it spluttered and died

badeshi

Advanced Member
Sorry for the obvious but have you got enough petrol?
I have got very low a couple of times and due to the angle I parked it wouldn't start... I think my fuel gauge is not quite right (my excuse!)

When I first got my Impreza i had run out of fuel by time I got home!

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
Do you have aan alarm fitted? Could also give problems to start. I replaced my old alarm for a new one and had the same issue, a fault in system or wiring. Or you can check the clutch switch (bridge the switch to test).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

adam-r

I have enough fuel, the fuel light was on when we collected the car. So unless I'm unfortunate enough that it's gone faulty in the 2 days.....

I've never heard of bridging the clutch switch. Yes there is a Clifford alarm. I moved the steering wheel yesterday and I am thinking that I may have pulled a connection loose

adam-r

So. A remedy at last. Thanks for all the advice and tips guys. Turned out to be the battery, even though I had tried another one. Put a new battery in today and she fired up.

Now, after a quick drive, the revs seems to fall to almost stalling if I blip the throttle. Similar happened in my CL1 and R33 and it was the lambda sensor.
Can anyone confirm similar happenings with their K20?

badeshi

Advanced Member
Glad you found the cause!

Sorry don't know about rev dropping. Mine is doing it but only down to 500rpm. I was going to try and clean IACV when I get a min

adam-r

Thanks Badeshi.

The rev dropping seems to have stopped now too after a longer drive. The car is due a good service also.

Thanks for your help guys.