Straight through OE mid Pipe

Fvil

Hello

I m getting bored of not having any sound from the exhaust, but got a few priority bits before getting a cat back. So I thought I ll make a straight through mid pipe for the time been.

Does anyone know the difference between the EP3 OEM Mid pipe VS the DC5, only info I have found is that the bolt locations need to be slightly altered at the flange to the cat end.

Bore size is what I m concerned about.

3 ways I can do this.

Cut the one on the car,
Get another DC5 one (it ll be used)
Get a new EP3 one locally, if its the right size.

Thanks

Chewy

Advanced Member
I ran a 2" unsilenced mid pipe with OEM backbox...Assumed to be a sportex mild steel one for a EP3 (but unconfirmed) and there were no issues with the bore size...I got it 2nd hand and it had already had the cat facing flange bolt holes extended, as you've already suggested.

Had The Duchess mapped with that and a Tegiwa air box back in the day and it made 230BHP at TDI North, so not as restrictive as I though it was going to be.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
If you want a cheap upgrade, go on the civic type r owners club and ask for a second hand r8byb b pipe. It's 2.5", unsilenced and fits perfect with oem back box. Still quiet inside, but makes more rasp outside. Should be well under £100.

If you want proper noise though I would get a spoon n1 back box to go with your oem b pipe which you'll hear Inside too, but they are £200 second handish.

Fez

Advanced Member
I have a silenced sportex b pipe off an ep3 on my car, straight fit no problems.

Fvil

Awesome.

My thoughts were to get a OEM EP3 one (depending on the size) and weld a straight through, Probably cost me around £50.

or

Cut the DC5 one, which I dont want to do.

or

just found this if this is the one. 2.5" apparently.

Thanks

adam.

Advanced Member
DO NOT GET AN EP3 OEM CENTRE PIPE.

Ahem.

They've got about a 10mm diameter!

adam.

Advanced Member
No idea.

But I remember being shocked at how 'party straw' my ep3 one was.

Fvil

Scrap that Idea then... Thought it wouldnt be too bad if it was around 2" - 2.25"

What about that sportex one?

How much does r8byb usually sell them new for?

Col R

IIRC they used to be sold for around 180 pounds. Not sure if they're still being sold though. Theres a long thread about them over on the other forum as mentioned previously.

If you could source one that'd be better all round, very well made, better ID sizing, would hold value and last better but if you're struggling just go for a sportex (which isn't SS)

I sold an R8BYB b-pipe a couple of years back for around 90 pounds

Fvil

Yea I would prefer the stainless one, but I need to find one first :)

Its only need it till around Christmas, hoping to get the catback then, Just getting bored every day with out noise lol.

I m used to driving my civic, which is loud!

p1tse

Advanced Member
Custom place quoted near £100 for unsilenced or £150 region for silenced

All in and fitted, custom made; worth a look around and you can dictate the size then

Col R

Fire up a wanted thread on CTRO and see if you can wait it out lol. If you're only looking for a bit of noise until christmas you could get a sportex as a disposable item as they aren't/weren't that expensive. Who knows maybe someone in your position now will come along and take it from you when your done with it...

Fvil

Yea I called my local Powerflow, they said, £90+ vat for a chop and change.

New one made £190 + vat.

Thats what I m thinking with the sportex, its pretty cheap, and hassle free.

I cant be arsed to register on CTRO lol

ekg

Advanced Member
I'm in a similar position. Is any running the Sportex bpipe with OEM backbox? It says it doesnt fit the the DC5.

Or is it a case of a slight mod on the Cat end flange?