Strut bars - what do you think???

Gary

Advanced Member
I know this should probably be in the Sus section but I would just like to gauge everyones opinion on strut/tie bars front and rear - upper and lower whether or not a front one is enough or do you really need the rear one and in the case of the lower ones I'm at bit reluctant to fit them cos I've heard tales of a few bent ones!
ps I'll be lowering the car 25mm by way of a set of eibachs as well!
pps does anyone know why the Civic site is down, is it bandwidth funding problems again :?:

CleRICK

Advanced Member
I've got the mugen front strut and 2 rear, but ordinary springs (fookin hard jap ordinary anyway), definately a worthwhile mod the 2 at the rear but i don't think the one at front made much difference 'cos the dc5 already had one there as standard.

Trung

Advanced Member
If you buy race proven brands, you can sure be sure they won't snap/bend etc....
One thing I would advise you to avoid is the Spoon front lower tie bar because it hangs very low and can easily be damaged by speed bumps.

Gary

Advanced Member
Trung said:
One thing I would advise you to avoid is the Spoon front lower tie bar because it hangs very low and can easily be damaged by speed bumps.
Yeah Trung when I said I've heard tales that is exactly what I'm talkin about, is it only the Spoon one which hangs too low???

dan the man

Advanced Member
Facelift DC5 has a much thicker front strut bar that is boltedon to 3 NUTS on each strut tower..

wonder how much we could get these for in a group buy as fit perfect and are much beefier.

DROVE Daves facelift DC5 today aswell...sweet.

dan

Trung

Advanced Member
andyd said:
Mines been fine :roll: :roll:

Andy
Of course it is, doubt your car would've meet many speed bumps during it's off road period. :wink:

Zero7

Advanced Member
I've just ordered the 4 point Carbing Strut brace, I'll post some pics when it arrives.

Gary

Advanced Member
I've heard good things about the Carbing am I right in sayin that it's one of the only bars to pick up on all three points on the strut, did you get a decent price, and have you used braces before and if so what's your view on them, sorry for all the questions but I don't seem to be gettin many pointers one way or the other on their effectiveness for the money :?:
Cheers :D

mikegsi

Staff member
i got the spoon front upper one more for looks than owt else, as posted the 5's already have a front upper one as std.
would like a rear upper one though, just to help out

Gary

Advanced Member
T666YPR said:
I thought Cusco do a 3 point brace as well.
They probably do, was just sayin that it was one of the three point braces, but still the main thing I want to know is are they worth the dough for a fast road only car???

Zero7

Advanced Member
Gary said:
I've heard good things about the Carbing am I right in sayin that it's one of the only bars to pick up on all three points on the strut, did you get a decent price, and have you used braces before and if so what's your view on them, sorry for all the questions but I don't seem to be gettin many pointers one way or the other on their effectiveness for the money :?:
Cheers :D
The carbin was £240, a lot of money for a strut brace but it looks real 8) and it is a 3 point so I hope it makes some difference, this standard one is a bit lightweight and I'm not sure how effective it is, I'll let you know if there is much difference once it's fitted.

FunkyR

i've got spoon F & R

i like the spoon R because it sits under the carpet (doesnt stick straight across like the DC2R and Mugen DC5R rear bar)

Evs

Advanced Member
I've got all four Spoon ones and a K-One C-pillar bar. Fitted them one at a time and I would say the best ones seemed to be the front upper and C-pillar bar. The front upper in particular seemed to make the front end of the car feel more 'together' as it did feel a bit harsh & frangible after I'd put the coilovers on. Haven't had any trouble with scraping the front lower bar, even though the car is lowered. If I were doing it all over again I'd go for front upper, C-pillar and maybe look at the Tanabe lower subframe brace. Probably wouldn't bother with the Spoon rear ones. The Mugen rear upper might do a bit more as it sits higher up and exerts more leverage on the struts, although it might hamper practicality a bit. There's my 2p anyway.

Zero7

Advanced Member
Zero7 said:
I've just ordered the 4 point Carbing Strut brace, I'll post some pics when it arrives.
Be warry of the Carbing ones, Mine arrived and was scratched to buggery, I'm waiting for either a replacment (which the are a bit reluctant to do as they say they are hand made and there will be some scratches on them) or my money back. :(

dan the man

Advanced Member
i now have the spoon FR tower bar..

i think it makes it sharper and is some difference there :!: :wink:

dtm