Surface Rust / Civic Type R EP3

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi all, I am looking at various cars for a cheap run around and have never had an EP3. Does anyone know the best way to treat / sort a small amount of surface rust around the edges of the chassis plate/plaque found on the top of the strut in the engine bay as a car my friend is selling cheap has this and I wanted to know how easy it'd be to sort if I was to consider it as a potential cheap toy.

Like in the pic attached

Attachments

RaspyNoise

Advanced Member
How much?

Yes just a light sand down mask it and rust proof primer, paint then lacquer definitely worth it if it‘s cheap.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
It's not a lot tbh and very light in colour still, I was thinking rub it down a bit, put on some kurust and then touchup paint to re-colour it and then some touchup lacquer maybe?

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Rub down what you can with sandpaper or a wire bruch, then put a curing agent on it (I use Jenolite which is the same as Kurust, some others use Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80).

Keep re-applying until it's all solid metal, then put some etch primer on there. After that do paint as normal and it should last.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Wicked thanks, I will have a look at it, was going to get the chassis plate removed and then sort it and re-rivet the plate back on, but not sure that's doable or allowed ?

20Drift

Members
Staff member
carl hammond said:
Wicked thanks, I will have a look at it, was going to get the chassis plate removed and then sort it and re-rivet the plate back on, but not sure that's doable or allowed ?
Yeah definitely for the best - can't remember if my Civic's one was bonded or riveted now, but assume it's riveted.

Don't see an issue with removing the plate to fix rust as long as the same one goes back on!