Suspension swap

JDC5

Charged DC5
I just need to ask... im going to swap over my OEM suspension for tein coilovers, the car already has eiback springs and a TGM fast road set-up.

When i put the coilovers on, do i need to do a wheel alignment? or can it just be a straight swap over? I mean, I will be going to get the coilovers set-up again in the near future, but just want to make sure when i swap over do i need to align the wheels again... I got a quote from one company that will fit and set-up for about £250ish.. is that a good price.. cos i think at that price i rather do it myself.. but im limited to doing the whole swap in under 4-5hours..

Cheers all

JD

Evs

Advanced Member
Yeah Jimmy I would say you really need to get them set up. The way they mount to the car will be different (front topmounts etc) and you'll probably change the ride height. From experience there can be slight differences in the front strut casings that can affect toe etc.

You could maybe save a bit of money fitting the kit yourself and then taking it to TGM for a setup. It's worth doing properly or not at all imo.

raz786

Advanced Member
I think you'd definitely have to align again, the track rod end comes out for fitment (unless I'm totally wrong) and that would probably throw your setup a fair way out, did with mine anyhow. HTH

JDC5

Charged DC5
Hey Evs.. hows it going mate..

Cheers... Well thats just it.. i was planning to just do the swap as im trying to save some money.. then when i have my service in a few weeks time I will get the set up done again...

My main concern was do i need to do the set up again right after i do the swap.. I limited to time as i only have friday off this week and really need to take the OEM suspension off as I've sold it..

I mean.. will i be ok to drive it for the time being? wot bad effects will i get?

I mean.. any1 can you give me a quick run down on how to remove the OEM suspensions?

Cheers

JD

dotty

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
I mean.. any1 can you give me a quick run down on how to remove the OEM suspensions?

Cheers

JD
If you don't know then I would not try, it is a recipe for disaster IMO :idea:

JDC5

Charged DC5
well my knowledge is ok i guess.. i mean.. i did change suspensions on my old pug 206, plus my dad is quite handy (he can change clutches and stuff) I mean.. i just looked on the RSX manual and by the looks of it.. it does look pretty straight forward...

but im just worried that when i fitted the suspension on.. do i run the risk of damaging anything as i would be doing a set up or alignment straight after...

Just needed a lil heads up.. so im aware of what to expect..

Cheers

JD

Evs

Advanced Member
Hi Jimmy I'm good thanks. I would say that it'd be OK to do the swap and drive around gently for a couple of days until you can get it booked in. The handling might be all over the place so be prepared for that, but you shouldn't do any damage provided you get it sorted quickly.

The swap is not difficult, here's a quick how-to, going from memory.

Tools needed:
Assorted spanners & sockets: 10? 12? 14, 17, 19, 22.
Ball joint splitter
Spring compressors maybe

Front

With the car still on the floor, slacken the three nuts on the topmounts each side holding them to the strut tower - usually the same ones an aftermarket strut brace fits to. Don't remove nuts yet.

Slacken the wheel nuts, jack car up & remove wheel. You can do this one side at a time.

Slacken the two bolts holding the strut to the hub carrier, don't remove yet.

Remove castellated nut on tie rod end to strut casing. It should have a split pin through it, straighten and pull out, then remove nut. Remove rod end from strut casing using splitter. You can in theory hammer this upwards but the rod end is a bit soft and you can easily damage the thread by bending it. A splitter is about a tenner and worth buying imo.

Remove bolts holding brake lines to strut casing & get lines out of the way.

Remove strut to hub carrier bolts, being careful not to allow the hub carrier to slop outwards as this can disengage the driveshaft from the gearbox.

Strut will now be loose at the bottom, so hold it while you remove the nuts from the topmount and remove.

Re-fitting is the reverse of removal, fit it to the topmount first, then bolt to the hub carrier, then attach the track rod end.

Repeat on other side

Rear

Best to do both at the same time, as the rear suspension is not completely independent and you need to use the travel to get clearance to get the struts out.

Remove boot trim, ie the stiff carpet around the strut tops. Loosen the two nuts at the strut tops and remove them. Need a socket with an extension and a bit of 'wobble' to it to get it on the nut and turn it from a slight angle.

Jack the car up and remove the rear wheels.

Under the car, remove the bolts holding the bottom of the struts to the rear trailing arms.

Remove the struts. This can be easier said than done, as (especially with OEM ones) they can extend which makes it difficult to get them to clear the bracket on the RTA.

I've messed around with spring compressors to help with this, I wonder if a load of cable ties applied while the car is on the floor with the wheels on would be able to keep it short enough to help it out.

Re-fitting is the reverse of removal

Err I think that's it really, it's not complicated but can be a bit of a pain getting bolts off, rod ends at the front, and the rear struts out of the RTAs.

I've probably forgotten loads of stuff so proceed with caution & commonsense and use this as a guide only :lol:

HTH anyway - good luck with it mate :D

JDC5

Charged DC5
Nice one evs!! much appricated mate..

I will give it a go on friday.. With your guide i have a rough idea what i gota do.. cheers Evs

JD

12T

Advanced Member
Its a pretty straight forward job jim. You will find it hard to take out the track rod end i think thats whats it called?? you might need to bang it out after that its a easy job.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
What a write up Evs.

i would second all of that except removal of the track rod end,
there is an easier and less damaging way. :wink:

remove pin (if there is one) and nut
DO NOT be tempted to strike the bottom of the rod end AT ALL with your hammer it is very very easy to damage the thread and the ends are expensive, instead hit the flat face of the arm where the rod end goes thru.
you will need a fairly decent hammer, small lump hammer etc.
BEWARE of your wheel arches when swinging the hammer!! eventually it will pop up with no damage

this sounds dumb as you don't contact the rod end at all but trust me i have done this many many times on many cars it is the best way,

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
Better still use a hamer with nylon protected ends or a copper hammer and you wont damage anything.

Evs

Advanced Member
Thanks Si :)

C&S Evo7 said:
i would second all of that except removal of the track rod end,
there is an easier and less damaging way. :wink:

remove pin (if there is one) and nut
DO NOT be tempted to strike the bottom of the rod end AT ALL with your hammer it is very very easy to damage the thread and the ends are expensive,
I was trying to say it's much better to use a splitter - I've got one of those scissor type ones where you fit one arm of it around the ball joint and then tighten a bolt to push on the end of the thread.

I totally agree don't hit the rod end with a hammer as it's easy to damage it.

Your method of hitting the arm sounds ingenious though 8)

JDC5

Charged DC5
Thanks all for the advice and the guide!

Its all done!! I got it all fitted in about 4hours.. am quite proud of myself tbh, thanks all for the rough guide...

I did the back 1st.. the only problem was the rear bolt on the top mount, what a bugger to get to lol, but everything came out fine...

the front was tricky, i have to support the brake disc from droppin incase the driveshaft came out... As for the track rod end..DAMN!!! i have to use abit of force, I Hit it with a hammer lightly.. but it didnt work.. so i hit it hard ONCE, then pop, it came out lol

All in all i saved myself £250 as thats how much the garage was going to charge me!

thanks again all

JDC5

Charged DC5
Now that its fitted... the steering wheel is bent to the lefted... I guess i need to get the tracking done plus set-up again?

Also... I've noticed the height of the rear to he higher.. its not lowered it at all lol.. I havent got the spanner to adjust the height.. but when i measured it up against the OEM suspension the tein was alot smaller.. so i fort it would bring the wheels into the arch more...

the front is sitting fine! much lower lol

JD

Evs

Advanced Member
Well done Jimmy, it is satisfying to get something like that sorted yourself. Glad my how-to helped a bit, and yeah that nut is a bit awkward to get to, you need a slim socket that you can turn at an angle :lol:

Ride height can be adjusted by moving the spring perches, you can do this on the car, better to jack it up and do it unloaded. The springs are probably stiffer than OEM so even though they look shorter they won't compress as much for a given weight - so the car will sit higher as a result.

The settings will be all over the place, you may have more camber on one side than the other and so on, this will affect it and may also make it pull a bit to one side. I wouldn't worry about the steering wheel being offset tbh, if you take it to TGM for a setup then they'll sort it all out.

JDC5

Charged DC5
Hey Evs... Yeah the How-to guide was really helpful... of course! feels good that i can do it now.. think i might try and change the clutch too.. i might need another How-to on this

Oh so thats why it looks higher.. yes, the ride does feel alot harder... you can say that again, the geo set-up is all over the place, thats why im driving it easy.. Yeah i will have to pop down TGM... I think i will lower the car abit more... will upload some pictures to show you the drop

Cheers again..Thanks all

another job down.. more to come

JD

brucey87

Advanced Member
good how-to evs. :wink: i have a set of tein coilovers aswel. iv taken note, me and a mate will give it a bash next week then just get it aligned by a garage.

a bit off subject but would i do damage if i fitted reverse tie rod ends when the car is only lowered 30mm? just asking because i thought the reverse ones are only for serously low cars.
just wanted to protect and take some stress from the steering rack really. not doing it for the more toe out reason.