Suspension too hard - help

Caroline

The suspension in my DC5 is just not able for the crap roads where I live. As much as I love how it can handle the corners, and I am sure it would be a dream on the track, I will never be on a track.

I really need to change the suspensions for something still good handling but slightly softer to take the bumps and the bad surfaces in the west of Ireland.

Do any of you know what I should look for. Are the suspensions on the EP3 as bad and would they fit the tegger? I wouldn't mind getting adjustables but I dont even know where to start looking.

Caroline

Trung

Advanced Member
EP3 suspension will not fit on DC5.
I think EP3 suspension are hard enough anyway.

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Caroline,

What tyres are you running on? I changed the Bridgestones that came with my car to Toyo T1S and the change in ride is amazing. With the bridgestonmes I felt every last bump and imperfection in the road, with the Toyos the drive still feels "direct" but you are not shaken out of your skin.

:)

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Hi Carline

By the sounds of it your still running the Japanese tires on your car :?: :?:

If so, they are a very hard compound, thus designed for Jap roads, not our type, so by changing these might help, like Rich said :idea:

Rich, how do you find the Toyo T1S, ok on wear etc?

Cheers

Mike

Erm

Advanced Member
if you go for softer tires your gonna be going thru quite a few sets tho aint you :shock:

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Mike - the Toyos are fine, although I do drive like miss daisy :wink:

In all sense, they have covered about 1500 miles so far and are barely showing any wear. Obviously if I were hooning around all the time then I would not expect them to last too long but I don't so we shall see how many miles I'll get out of them!

Sweepstake anybody? :lol:

Erm

Advanced Member
if u drive like miss daisy i'll say 26,000 miles :lol:

my first set of front tires on my pug lasted me all of 7,000 miles :roll:

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
I don't rate the Toyo's, but that maybe down to the fact mine lasted 3000miles and transformed the handling of my near perfect car into a non comunicative handling car, all IMHO.

Caroline if the ride is that bad I doubt it is the tyres, the only option would be softer springs which I doubt exist, the suspension on the EP3 and DC5 is stiff the DC5 stifffer.

Is it too stiff that it is hopping around? or is it you find it uncomfortable?

The reason I ask is that what one person excepts is good another would find awful.

Caroline

I would rate the suspensions as good on a track but really uncomfortable on the irish roads. I'd love if the tires solved my problem but I have a feeling its more than than that. I still have the original tires on so maybe they have something to do with it.

Do you really think I couldn't get softer springs, even adjustables? I was looking at www.tein.com and the Flex model and I was considering them. what do ye think.

I love the car but its killing me at the moment. I feel like the car is just falling apart thanks the the crap irish roads. I think it has already developed rattles and I only have it a couple of weeks!!!

Any help really appreciated in advance.

ps2london

Advanced Member
i use Tein Flex on my last EP3, even u set to the softest, still harder then the spoon springs.

but is feel a lot better with whole suspenion fitted.

my dc5 had Tein Springs fitted. compare with Tein Flex suspenion on Road use. I still think Flex is better the the spring itself even flex is harder, anyone know why???

Steels

Sorry Trung you are wrong

EP3 suspension does fit DC5. No problem.

Unless you know something?

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
Richard whats your thoughts on the problem for Caroline, I can't see there is loads of difference in the EP3 and DC5 shocks and springs if they did fit?

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi All,

I've just changed from 2 years of running with stock to Spoon progressive springs last week. I've have found the road ride more supple than before and it irons out the bumps a lot better. They also performed beautifully on the track at Bedford yesterday. I'm very happy with the up-grade and highly remommend it. This could be your answer Caroline.

Cheers,

Jon

Steels

Hi again Matt- spring&damper rates DC5 v EP3

Sorry I don't know.

I've not driven a std road going DC5 so cannot give an opinion but I suspect that the DC5 would be stiffer for the reasons stated elsewhere.

STD road JDM dampers are well hard and horrible , always have been. That's all Jap. volume manufacturers not just Honda.

Caroline

I am still so confused. The stock suspensions are really hard but I dont want to spend €2000+ on suspensions that are even harder.

K20A2

Caroline said:
I love the car but its killing me at the moment. I feel like the car is just falling apart thanks the the crap irish roads.
Hi.. TEIN Flex is even harder then my TEIN HA
I'm sorry to hear that you find the DC5R suspension hard..

And if you just change the springs you will feel it more bouncy..

:? wish i could help you!

jonster

Advanced Member
Caroline,

As I mentioned before, I've just changed from stock springs to Spoon progressive springs using the same dampers. I've always been bothered by the harsh ride with the standard Type-R suspension, but the good thing with our cars being so well built they don't end up with rattles all over the place like a lot of other Jap imports. I've had a R33 Skyline GTR and a Scooby Type-R and they both started creak and rattle within a year. My two year old Honda is still rattle free.

Since changing to the Spoon progressives I found the ride much smoother than before over rough roads and it's not suffered any loss of handling. I've not noticed it make the car bouncy either. Changing to these springs costs about £250 quid and another £100 or so for fitting. If you want a go a step futher and smooth the ride out even more, go for 16" wheels to give yourself more tyre wall height. A soft compound tyre might help a little too. I know Spoon Europe has ordered some in so you might want to check with them if you want to go for it. I ordered mine directly from Japan because I was impatient but paid quite a bit on shipping because of the weight.

I'm no expert but that's my experience. I didn't want to spend £1-2k on new suspension that's going to be harder either, despite liking going on the track. The Spoon springs lower the car by 25mm too which makes it look a bit more sporty, but that was not my main concern.

I hope this helps,

Jon

JOM

Advanced Member
Are the Spoon EP3 and DC5 progresive springs the same?

They have different part numbers on the spoon website but was wondering if anyones if they are different.

I am currently awaiting a reply from a PM to spoon.

James

Caroline

@jonser. thanks a million your advice. I really dont want to spend huge money either would just like a little more comfort. I reckon that I will need to change the tyres for a softer ones too and that might make the difference. Would look better lowered too.

Thanks again