TDI 3" exhaust

2ndy

Advanced Member
I'm going to be buying an exhaust in the next couple of weeks... Was considering just buying another HKS but after my last one exploded I think I'm going to go for something different.l even tough the noise from the HKS is so ignorant which I kind of liked!

Really into the idea of a 3 inch, will go with the ITBs but also when I upgrade the cams I'm sure it will be needed then.

K tuned and skunk2 will be far too loud going by internet videos which has led me to the TDI North system... the only videos i can find of this exhaust are of the car flat out.

Was wondering what they are like day to day on a NA car? With and without the bung in them which I think you get with the exhaust..

Also fitment? Haven't really seen many good photos of how the tailpipe sits as I have seen one where it sticks out past the bumper by a few inches

spooke

Advanced Member
Unsure about TDI North system but check out Solid Fabrications, fitment will be spot on and the quality - I'm looking at going for one in a month or two. I spoke to Romain and he seemed to like it a lot, 3" will definitely be worth while if you can bear the loudness.

Solid Fabrications one comes to,

£550 Manifold
£550 Catback

I was actually asking him to do me one with an optional 200 cell Sports Cat which is £250 extra.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Does he need to have the car though? I'm in NI so would be looking for something already made that I can fit myself

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Yes, Alan (Solid Fab) needs the car.

Darren is selling one on here, nearly new, cat back. Not sure about postage though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ndy

Advanced Member
Was speaking to Solid fab, can't do off the shelf for dc5 yet but hopefully be able to soon. Going to hold of and wait for that as I really want the js style turn down and no one else can make a 3 inch with thay

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Spoke to him about the J's style myself. He doesn't do an exact copy. It's more of a piece by piece bend. Like a pie. If you look on his FB page you'll see the tailpipe pie bend he offers.

2ndy

Advanced Member
TonksyDC5 said:
Spoke to him about the J's style myself. He doesn't do an exact copy. It's more of a piece by piece bend. Like a pie. If you look on his FB page you'll see the tailpipe pie bend he offers.

Yea I saw those welded bends, looks pretty cool! Think it's a love or hate sort of thing.. have told him to let me know when he can start making them off the shelf, the welds on his systems are art work!

Chewy

Advanced Member
I personally love the dolphin/turn down style tips, especially the split welded ones (similar to the J's FX range) over the normal bend type...

I'm running one of these at the moment, but a 2.5" made by FL Performance.

Will be keeping my eye out for this Solid Fab' off the shelf 3" with turn down tip though, that would be a nice upgrade, do we know if it would be track compliant (running the twin silencers)?

Here's some pictures of my exhaust if anyone wants an idea of that they look like with that style of tip;

2ndy

Advanced Member
That's the sort of tip I would like! They seem to make a silent system or a super silent system where they use bigger boxes.

Il probably just going to go for the silent version as it's not a daily driver so don't mind there being a bit of noise

spooke

Advanced Member
I'm planning on going to Solid Fabrications the end of February/Early March ATM. So hopefully he could make them off the shelf after that.

I'm debating 2.5" or 3", I want 3" for obvious reasons but it's just going to be too loud for me.

Hopefully it doesn't matter for off the shelf ones.

Perhaps we could organise a group buy?

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
I am in for a group buy. I have the 3" K-Tuned and it is a bit to loud for my daily
Was looking at Solid Fab but they didn't do an off the shelf 3" cat back, and I live in the Netherlands so that made it a bit to complicated to make one.

spooke

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
I personally love the dolphin/turn down style tips, especially the split welded ones (similar to the J's FX range) over the normal bend type...

I'm running one of these at the moment, but a 2.5" made by FL Performance.

Will be keeping my eye out for this Solid Fab' off the shelf 3" with turn down tip though, that would be a nice upgrade, do we know if it would be track compliant (running the twin silencers)?

Here's some pictures of my exhaust if anyone wants an idea of that they look like with that style of tip;
This is what Alan told me, not 100% sure if that's the Super Silent or normal, or manifold included but I can ask.
  • 3 inch 92db@5500rpm
  • 2.5 inch 89db@5500rpm

Honda-atr said:
I am in for a group buy. I have the 3" K-Tuned and it is a bit to loud for my daily
Was looking at Solid Fab but they didn't do an off the shelf 3" cat back, and I live in the Netherlands so that made it a bit to complicated to make one.
I can enquire if people are interested?

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
I had a TDI NORTH 3" cat back on my ep3 and now on my dc5, the fitment is bang on.
seem well made. and there nice and quite too, no drone at all on the motorway, track friendly too.
But they do sound nice when you give it some beans.

here's what it looks like fitted to a dc5 :) tapatalk_1483717170325.jpegtapatalk_1483717165010.jpeg

only vids I've got for sound though is on a turbo dc5. or I've got one of my ep3 but giving it some.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kenz

Advanced Member
Theres a tdi north system on ebay for £400. Not sure if he will post though.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Kenz said:
Theres a tdi north system on ebay for £400. Not sure if he will post though.

I have to say, It did rather make me chuckle reading his add when I saw it...

'Minor damage to underside of mid section from scrapes but does not effect flow. Good ground clearance.'

2ndy

Advanced Member
I'm going to fire solid fab over a message here to see if he would have any interest in a group buy type thing? As long as someone can get a dc5 his way to make one I'm sure he would be keen if he was going to get a good few sales out of it

2ndy

Advanced Member
I'm going to fire solid fab over a message here to see if he would have any interest in a group buy type thing? As long as someone can get a dc5 his way to make one I'm sure he would be keen if he was going to get a good few sales out of it