Temp issues

Lopes3d

Hi, seem to have an issue with coolant temps. Normally let the car warm up before driving(coming off of cold start). But seemed very long this morning. Was driving for about 15mins and needle moved up only 2 increments. On the drive home it did manage to get up to quarter of the way through, but that was it. I am getting warm air coming through vents which leads me to believe this is a thermostat issue can anyone shed any light on this

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
Does the needle drop again if you slow down or become stationary? Worth a check…

if it does, I’d say your stat was stuck open and needing to be replaced. Basically not working keeping the car from reaching optimum operating temps.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Colder temps outside will mean it takes slightly longer to get up to temp (that’s normal) for this and any car (remember there’s nothing special about this car at all, it’s a normal car and normal engine line any other.

If it got up to the normal temp position and stayed there and you had warm air then it sounds fine, if it gets up to temp and when coming to a stop etc it goes up more and more (past normal operating temp) or drops then you have an issue to investigate

matt_hodgson

When I've had thermostats stuck open I've seen the temp noticeably drop going down motorway hills, and climb again going uphill.

Like Carl says - if it gets up to normal temp and staying there then sounds fine.

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
What is the normal operating temps for these cars? Mines only ever get up to 80 unless I'm on track.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mebz

Advanced Member
What is the normal operating temps for these cars? Mines only ever get up to 80 unless I'm on track.

On the road mine runs at 90 to 95 in traffic.

On track it runs cooler, 85 to 90.

That's reading off the kpro.

Lopes3d

That’s it it’s not reaching temp, normally before yesterday would be at half way normal and sit there fine. But now doesn’t seem to get anywhere past 1/4 way. I haven’t checked if I just idle the temp drops off something I’ll have to do

Lopes3d

When I've had thermostats stuck open I've seen the temp noticeably drop going down motorway hills, and climb again going uphill.

Like Carl says - if it gets up to normal temp and staying there then sounds fine.
I’ve had this before on my last 2 cars but around town they’d sit at 1/2 unless as you stated on motorway etc which makes me wonder if this is stat related as I can’t get it up in temp

carl hammond

Advanced Member
That’s it it’s not reaching temp, normally before yesterday would be at half way normal and sit there fine. But now doesn’t seem to get anywhere past 1/4 way. I haven’t checked if I just idle the temp drops off something I’ll have to do
Normal Temp is below halfway

mine was always between 1/4 and 1/2 and never budged really tbh

That was as like Mebz said (90 to 95 in traffic and on track it ran lower), I used to check it on the torque app using an obd2 reader to my head unit

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Yeah mine is between 1/4 and 1/2 as Carl says. On track I was getting up to 100 when I parked up coming off the track. This was all through the Kpro app too. Is temps that high a little concerning?

Lopes3d

I’m only seeing a maximum of 1/4 at the moment I’ll take it out tomorrow for a longer run see what happens and let it idle once back see if temp drops off. It does have a Hondata ECU so will have to get the app to get a more accurate reading

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I’m only seeing a maximum of 1/4 at the moment I’ll take it out tomorrow for a longer run see what happens and let it idle once back see if temp drops off. It does have a Hondata ECU so will have to get the app to get a more accurate reading
Sounds like it’s running perfectly fine to me and you’re worrying about nothing.

Outside temps have dropped so it’ll take longer to warm up like any car. Don’t overthink it as too many think there’s something specific and special about these cars but theirs not. It’s just a normal everyday car tbh with a very basic engine etc, not a Veyron or anything that’s very specific with loads of tech and clever gadgetry.

Think Ford Mondeo, put the DC5 in the same box for tech and mechanical stuff lol

only worry if your cars overheating etc

Lopes3d

I hope I am being over cautious. Just random as all my other cars and vans have there normal temp range at bang on half way. But good thing to know that 1/4 seems normal

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I hope I am being over cautious. Just random as all my other cars and vans have there normal temp range at bang on half way. But good thing to know that 1/4 seems normal
As long as it's half or below (like all normal everyday cars/vans etc) then don't worry. Worry if it gets hotter and keeps rising then starts to drop when on the move (getting airflow) then rises again when static and so on.

It's acting normally under general normal conditions really, you will see it taking longer to warm as the conditions outside are lower temps and cooler, then in summer etc it will be faster for heating up as you have outside air that's hotter / warmer