Tempted to modify this Spoon 2-1 manifold - thoughts?

MrRy

Advanced Member
Alright guys

Just wanted some thoughts on this one. Bought a Spoon mani from eBay last week, knowing it had the flexi pipe welded back on badly due to the welds on the outside. (hasn't been backpurge welded, the inside section just below the flexi isn't great as per pics below)

The manifold is in fairly good condition otherwise, however as I am only really interested in running a cat, I'm tempted to see if an exhaust fabricators will chop out the decat and stick a sports cat (400 cell, or 200 cell of good quality) in there at the same time as repairing the flexi section.

I've heard the flow rates of the standard DC5 cat are really rather good anyway though (popular mod for UKDM EP3's for more mid range?) but no data to back this up so undecided if it's worth the bother and just sell it on and stick with the standard cat before my remap.

Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
Ry

Chewy

Advanced Member
It's one of those things really, you'll make the best power running a decat, the least running with the OEM cat, and somewhere in the middle with a 200/400 cell cat.

Assuming you're only interested in running a sports cat for ease of MOT's, in which case I'd personally go for a 400 cell cat over a 200 as the 200 can be a bit of a ball ache getting it warmed up correctly to pass the emissions test...well more so then the 400 anyway.

It's something I've been looking into myself, but it all comes down to money against the costs of modifying something, getting a custom manifold fabricated with cat or buying something genuine like Mugen, Feels, Sard and the likes...

Technically, you're already half way there with a cheap 2-1 in your possession, how much more is it going to cost to get a cat welded in £200, £250?

Mark_teg

Staff member
Isn't the OEM cat a 400 cell anyway..
So if you're going to do it, I'd say go 200 or even 100! Just take it for MOT after a good hard drive and put it on the emission tester when hot ;)

Chewy

Advanced Member
Yeah, you're right ! Got my numbers muddled... My bad.

OEM Is 400, 200 is a good middle ground, must be 100 that can be a bit of a bugger come MOT time then.

James-T

Advanced Member
These 2-1 sections have never really made great power when the car is mapped unfortunately! There is no real substitute for a full race header.

MrRy

Advanced Member
I never knew that about the standard cats. Regardless, this will be up for sale soon as I can't be bothered with the faff of putting a sports cat in.

Thanks for the input chaps. :)