Test Fitting Wheels - Any advice on what may work?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Messages
3,244
Hi all,

I am not that clued up with the fitment of wheels, all I know is that I currently have a few sets of OEM wheels and they are on without spacers and no rolled arches etc.
OEM I believe are 17" by 7J with an ET of 60, I run 215/45/17 at present on my road set (trying to wear them out) and 225/45/17 on track - neither of these setups have caused me any issues at all and neither rub ever under any form of driving (on or off track)

As the car is 90% track used only my geo is harsh and so I have to be very cautious of buying wheels to ensure they all fit and do so without rubbing as I have no plans of rolling the rear arches etc.

My partner has a Nissan Juke 2016 1.2 DIG-T (wheels are 215/55/17, 7Jx17 and ET47 and fitment is 5x114.3

The tyres are narrower but taller, could I easily fit this on the car as a test to see how the sit and fit to see if they'd catch the arches in order to give me an idea of what wheels I can look to buy or does anyone know exactly what would work safely without an issue?

My Setup is as below:

Suspension:
Area Motorsport Track Version/Focussed YellowSpeed Coilovers at the height etc they were pre-set at for me by Area.

My Geo is as below:
Front Camber: -3.5deg
Front Toe: 2.5mm out (each side)

Rear Camber roughly: -3.2deg (this was with added fuel and the spare wheel so it will reduce to between -3.0deg and -2.8deg on trackdays)
Rear Toe: 1mm in (each side)

Thanks in advance, I want to get some wheels sorted but looking for ways to test fit and understand what will work without any issues, other option is I wait until the lockdown is over to go and see the sets I like the look of and test fit them if the owners will allow before buying.
 

Mebz

Advanced Member
Messages
927
With your camber settings, you can run 8j, 225 et45 no problems.

Check out the wheel thread
 

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Messages
3,244
Mebz said:
With your camber settings, you can run 8j, 225 et45 no problems.

Check out the wheel thread
Thanks mate will do, I don‘t want to run more camber else I‘ll end up joining the vag stance group lol
 

Mebz

Advanced Member
Messages
927
carl hammond said:
Thanks mate will do, I don‘t want to run more camber else I‘ll end up joining the vag stance group lol
For reference, my se37k on the rear are 7.5j et48 and my rota's are 8j et48. I'm running 2deg camber. Standard arches, no rubbing.

225 tyre
 

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Messages
1,223
Hi Carl,

With the yellow speeds you're running you can run up to 9j et 40 (245 tyre) with no issues on the front. Im running 9j et 37 (245/45) with 3.2deg camber

With the level of camber you're running, anything less will be lost in the arches. Might aswell run a wider set of wheels/tyres and benefit from the extra grip
 

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Messages
3,244
Reggie91 said:
Hi Carl,

With the yellow speeds you're running you can run up to 9j et 40 (245 tyre) with no issues on the front. Im running 9j et 37 (245/45) with 3.2deg camber

With the level of camber you're running, anything less will be lost in the arches. Might aswell run a wider set of wheels/tyres and benefit from the extra grip
Thanks mate, what setup do you have on yours? Could I be cheeky and ask (once lockdown is over) if I can pop over and test fit yours to see how it‘d fit and drive before I buy any wheels? Saves me making any mistakes in an order

Are you running that with oem non rolled rear arches ?
 

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Messages
1,223
carl hammond said:
Thanks mate, what setup do you have on yours? Could I be cheeky and ask (once lockdown is over) if I can pop over and test fit yours to see how it‘d fit and drive before I buy any wheels? Saves me making any mistakes in an order

Are you running that with oem non rolled rear arches ?
Running a staggered set up. So 225 tyre, 17x8 et 45 on the rear. My arches aren't rolled. 245 tyre, 17x9 et37 up front

More than welcome to pop over after this is over.
 

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Messages
3,244
Reggie91 said:
Running a staggered set up. So 225 tyre, 17x8 et 45 on the rear. My arches aren't rolled. 245 tyre, 17x9 et37 up front

More than welcome to pop over after this is over.
Thanks mate I will do as soon as I‘m allowed out properly as I will more than likely do a similar setup as I want to keep arches oem and non rolled :)
 

ATC

Active Member
Messages
87
lewis87 said:
I always liked this website for checking wheel fitment:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

You can put in all the numbers and get a very useful diagram and measurements that will help you decide on fitment.
Was going to say exactly this.
Measure your existing clearances then see how much the new setup encroaches on the space - don't forget to allow for the dynamics of the suspension travel though.

From what I understand plenty of people run 15mm spacers all round when lowered with less camber than you - 20mm starts to push it... 225 section tyres will add an extra variable to consider.
Based on the above though, I'd expect you could run as low as a 45mm offset (on a 7J wheel, you'd need a higher offset on a wider wheel) before you'd start seeing any issues (i.e. the juke wheels should be fine, except for the overall size due to taller sidewall). The extra camber you've got should help things too.
 

rsmithinfo

Advanced Member
Messages
145
lewis87 said:
I always liked this website for checking wheel fitment:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

You can put in all the numbers and get a very useful diagram and measurements that will help you decide on fitment.
This is cool and I‘ll find it useful in the future thanks [mention]lewis87 [/mention]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Top