THE BEST BRAKE DISCS/PADS YOU CAN BUY FOR YOUR TEG ARE (imo)

mikegsi

Staff member
right, recently i bought a set of Pual G's custom made front discs with a set of mintex 1144 pads.

the discs have been discussed on here at length and there are plenty of pics of them on a thread started by MJ Type R which can be found here

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8610

heres a quick piccy though to save you looking

the discs are a lot lighter than the oem brembo ones, and look solid! went on as easy as any new discs would, they look 8) on the car too, proper professional job!

paul supplied me with mintex 1144 pads based on what i use the car for, these are fast road/track pads, due to the bell part of the discs they need the edge grinding off to stop them rubbing, (something which paul does and has promised to do with any future pads i get, whether bought from him or not without charge!)

from the moment they were fitted and bedded in (a VERY simple process involving slowing down from three different speeds! details supplied by paul!) i could IMMEDIATELY feel the difference! on road the bite is SOO much better and solid feeling, a slight press of the pedal is all thats needed to bring you to a stop! my mechanic nearly put himself through the windscreen when he took it for its mot as he wasnt used to them!!
they dont need 'warming up' and work as well from cold as they do when hot, my only 'issue' with them is a slight squel at low speeds when only slightly pressing the pedal (approaching traffic lights for example when youve been staionary in a queue) this is due to the compound of the pads and is far outweighed by the difference in braking at normal/higher speeds!

Saturday gone was the H-O-T day at croft circuit, a time for me to meet Paul (amongst others) and give the disc/pads a good fettling!
once i had gotten used to them on track and built my confidence up with them i was able to brake a LOT later and a lot harder than i had previously done at croft (done this circuit around 4-5 times previously on oem brakes).
the bite was awesome, never once did i encounter any fade (also using brembo race fluid and braided hoses supplied by tom @tgm, thogh these have been on for my last 2 trackdays) the difference really is phenomenal

Paul tempted me prior to my last session with a set of FULL race spec F4 pads (not sure what that means but it sounds good!) using the proper tools we changed the pads over in around 5 minutes (wood nail and back of pliers to get the pins out, then tapped back in with the same method)

tell you what, i thought the 1144's were good! obviously these F4's are only for track use and not raod use as they need warming up before they work properly, the speed i was braking from in the space of time i was doing it was unreal! the discs took both combinations of pads in their stride and still look as good now as before the trackday!

due to the heat generated from braking i have now joined the 'yellow' brembo logo club!! but never once did i experience any problems, ie fade, soft pedal or anything, the pedal felt the same at the end of the 20 minute session as it did at the start!

anyhow, ive had 1144's on the car for around 2k miles of road use and five HEAVY sessions of braking at croft, and the pad has about 2/3rd's of meat left on them, should get another year out of them no bother, (obv less if i do more trackdays with them)

you may think the price of the discs is steep, but for what your getting it isnt, and dont forget that when the discs eventually need replacing you keep the expensive 'bell' bit and just replace the actual disc itself.

think of the fact that paul has managed over 8 trackdays on his before selling them on second hand to a satisfied forum member, you may manage two trackdays out of a set of oem ones before they need replacing.

i would recomend these heartily to anyone needing new brakes or just wanting an upgrade, you will not be dissapointed with them! pual didnt need to ask me what i thought of them as my :D :D gave the game away!
i cannot stress the difference between these and oem, its UNREAL!!!

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Excellent mate. Keep thinking about getting these, think I might do now. Got any pics of them fitted so we can see what they are like behind the wheels?

mikegsi

Staff member
i dont have any of them on but can certainly take some, though i doint have oem wheels.....

dont think about it mate, do it, i assure you you'll be more than happy with them!!! :D

mikegsi

Staff member
paul G said:
Price reduction..... I can now supply the discs at £439.20 + vat :D

Paul.
taken from the last post on the thread linked to above (obv pads on top of that)

maybe a group buy might help???

mikegsi

Staff member
depends which ones you go for but i believe the pads are about £130

markie

Advanced Member
my car has grooved discs on it not exactly sure what make they are possibly lockhead.it has grooved discs on the back also.think iwould be better going for the more expensive ones.

JDC5

Charged DC5
woow!! not bad at all

i would get one.. but not just yet.. maybe a group buy would be in the future

JD

timp

Advanced Member
good review mate, i could possibly be tempted by these as my bloody brakes are crap (bring back the DC2).

So do you think if we got a few people together he might give us a deal? 500 sheets is still alot of cash i would have to start going to AA meetings so as i could afford it :D

Are you going to Santa pod or Jae would love to see them in real life

mikegsi

Staff member
no plans for pod or jae tbh mate, but im sure paul wioll be along himself to answer any questions, it is a canny whack, but the difference is unbelievable.........

how many people on here have spent similar if not more money replacing oem parts though? exhaust, induction even k-pro! the difference these make stopping you is as good as the difference k-pro makes to speeding you up!

Dark Blue Mark

Advanced Member
Im very tempted by these in light of going ot the Ring next month. Id still like to know how they compare with say, standard discs but with the Mintex pads.

I guess its like when you put new tyres on after having old ones in that they always seem hugely better because your old ones are worn.

Again, I think these are great but id just like to be sure before I take the plunge!

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Dark Blue Mark said:
Im very tempted by these in light of going ot the Ring next month. Id still like to know how they compare with say, standard discs but with the Mintex pads.
The Ring is not harsh on the brakes or car like a track day is.

Nice bit of kit these. Glad you're impressed with them Mike

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
Dark Blue Mark said:
:lol: :lol:

Have you ever been to the ring? I completely trashed a set of CTR brakes in 5 laps last year (both front discs and pads, car had previously done 12000 miles from new, normal road use) and I don't know the course all that well and I'm certainly not the fastest track driver! :!:

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
milano_chris said:
BadBadtz said:
Dark Blue Mark said:

Have you ever been to the ring? I completely trashed a set of CTR brakes in 5 laps last year (both front discs and pads, car had previously done 12000 miles from new, normal road use) and I don't know the course all that well and I'm certainly not the fastest track driver! :!:
You want a balanced car in and out of the corners mate :wink: Not stamping on the brakes trying to kill all that speed :p :lol:

Plus CTR brakes? :wink:

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
milano_chris said:
BadBadtz said:
Dark Blue Mark said:

You want a balanced car in and out of the corners mate :wink: Not stamping on the brakes trying to kill all that speed :p :lol:

Plus CTR brakes? :wink:
Don't diss the CTR brakes, they aren't all that bad, and when compared to the DC5 brakes, there isn't all that much difference. Oh and I was balance, and treading carefully.

ADHDboy

Advanced Member
Racing Brake already do :)

I have them on my car, don't think they will fit on an NA1 but it would be a good excuse for an upgrade to the later sized discs for you :)

dan the man said:
paul start making these for the NSX..