The Ultimate Battery Thread

Jemmy

Advanced Member
Hi lads,

Got a DC5 about 2 months ago & the lad before me has a excrementty Halfords battery in it & it's been acting up recently so looking to get a new one.

What should I be putting into it? I'll be honest I've no idea when it comes to batteries! Oh & I'm in ROI

Cheers

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
You could try Honda , here they are cheaper than Halfords .

Or Nissan micra HD ,

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hi

Going to get a Honda battery in the next few weeks so had a look at the current one I have. It's a 'Jomo' battery from Japan. No English details on it at all so have no idea of the spec. So had a search on google and found posts for yachting and jetski's!! Also typed it into eBay and got a motorcycle battery come up!!

The battery is really small. Too small I think. Struggles when you have the lights and aircon on.

mil1lion

Advanced Member
What's a good battery for the following ICE set up please?

Kenwood DVD player with flip out screen
Pioneer 10" sub driven at 750 watts by 1 Hifonics mono amp
4 Hifonics speakers driven at 100 watts per CH by 1 Hifonics 4CH amp
1 Hifonics 1 farad cap and 1 Rockford 0.5 farad cap

I'm looking to get these fitted soon but not sure if the standard battery is ok for this set up?

Kevin Girdler

Advanced Member
Just got one from Honda for £66 including vat. Two minute phone call, just told him it was a DC5 and he was able to find chassis no. on there system.

In stock, he put it aside and I was able to get it straight away as its 5 mins up the road.

Very impressed

blueguy

Resident J's whore
The battery in the first link won't fit the standard battery housing.

The second one is spot on and will fit the housing exactly.

Wardy7

Advanced Member
Is the Varta battery still the choice over the OEM one?
Need a new battery, Honda garage quoted me £66 for one from them but will get a Varta one if they are considered better?

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Is the Varta battery still the choice over the OEM one?
Need a new battery, Honda garage quoted me £66 for one from them but will get a Varta one if they are considered better?
Would also like to know this? Need a new battery soon also and want the best!

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.

If you decide on the Varta battery, make sure its mod B31. The terminals are correct size for original battery leads. Its a lot better battery than the small originals. Ive recently got one from local tyre and exhaust centre for about £47. Its got more ooomp and to date its eliminated the dreaded starter motor squeal on a cold start.

Regards. Granty.

Wardy7

Advanced Member
Hi.

If you decide on the Varta battery, make sure its mod B31. The terminals are correct size for original battery leads. Its a lot better battery than the small originals. Ive recently got one from local tyre and exhaust centre for about £47. Its got more ooomp and to date its eliminated the dreaded starter motor squeal on a cold start.

Regards. Granty.
Have just gone for one of these now, bought online from Tayna Batteries for £53.54 delivered (like their facebook page and there is a discount code on there to save a couple of quid).

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi

Going to get a Honda battery in the next few weeks so had a look at the current one I have. It's a 'Jomo' battery from Japan. No English details on it at all so have no idea of the spec. So had a search on google and found posts for yachting and jetski's!! Also typed it into eBay and got a motorcycle battery come up!!

The battery is really small. Too small I think. Struggles when you have the lights and aircon on.
Hi.

When I replaced the original Panasonic battery for a Varta B31 one of my mates suggested that the Panasonic was'nt much bigger than a motor cycle battery.

If it was the original at first registration (01082004) it has'nt done bad. The trouble with it was, despite the car being garaged, was the poor starting in cold weather.

Regards. Granty.

sinbad

Advanced Member
should try eurocar parts - 50 quid for the exide which seems to have the highest rating out from what is displayed.

http://www.eurocarpa...44771566/p/home
  • Amp Hours (Ah): 45
  • Cold Cracking Amp (CCA): 390CCA
  • Length: 237mm
  • Width: 127mm
  • Height: 227mm
discount code = battery15

I just fitted this. Fitted into the battery bay perfect and is working a treat, starts up really strongly. Managed to get a discount too.

phozy888

Advanced Member
I just fitted this. Fitted into the battery bay perfect and is working a treat, starts up really strongly. Managed to get a discount too.
I just bought this yesterday my old one didnt hold charge no more and it was charged last week. Fits the tray perfectly and works great. From what i've compared this has the highest CCA compared to other brands in this 156 size.