Topping up oil?

lujamil

Advanced Member
So I've run out my Fuchs oil for the teg and wanted to top up the oil a bit. Went on the opie oil site and they only do 5l bottles. Was wondering what you guys think on just using a different oil (5w-40), something like castrol? Just convenient to get a small bottle from halfords down the road? Or should I just get the fuchs oil?

Thanks for the opinions.

chrex

Advanced Member
I use millers stuff. Normally buy in 5litres (about £40) for keeping in the boot and that lasts me a few months but they do 1litre bottles too (£10ish). When i change it, i get another 5litres purely for the change.

So long as you put another triple ester based oil in thats similar to the Fuchs (e.g. Millers CFS) then you should be alright.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I always buy a couple. One for changes and one for top ups :) always best getting 5l instead of 1l bottles for value for money etc

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I've just bought a 1l bottle of Fuchs Pro S from Opie Oils. There is a box on the product page which lets your select how much you want, 1l, 5l, 2x5l etc

Mark_teg

Staff member
Top up with the oil that's in there.
I've bought 1L bottles of Fuchs from Opie too.

lujamil

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
I've just bought a 1l bottle of Fuchs Pro S from Opie Oils. There is a box on the product page which lets your select how much you want, 1l, 5l, 2x5l etc
Il try this from the laptop. I had a look from my phone so maybe that is why I didn't see it :p

richie79

Advanced Member
im having to top mine up once a week is this normal? it uses about two egg cups full a week?

alan-lee

Advanced Member
im having to top mine up once a week is this normal? it uses about two egg cups full a week?

Mmm seems a bit much to be honest but depends how much you use the car, how hard you drive it.. What grade of oil is in it?

Seems a bit much though IMO

richie79

Advanced Member
car gets used everyday,i do quite a few miles a week,maybe 300/400 a week,not sure whats in it as i only brought it a month ago,but ive been putting in 5/40 when topping up,i hit vtec now and again for the odd blast but not all the time.

where could the oil be going? doesnt seem to be any leaks or anything under the car....cars done about 73k miles now.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
It'll be being burnt by the engine (quite normal).....with the mileage your doing i dont think you have a problem, two egg cups aint a lot ;) If it was a litre/+ that would be another story. When was it last serviced? Might be prudent to get some good oil in there with a new filter etc :)

T.G.

richie79

Advanced Member
not really sure i brought if from a garage and i know it had been sitting around for about ten months,but it was meant to come with a service,the oil was clean when i brought it a month ago,but just dont know what oil they put in there.

ive got some gulf racing 5/40 ready to go in with a hks filter,gonna do that soon.