TPS resistances + TC specs

barsby2k10

Advanced Member
Right........

I previously had a problem with poor idle and the car jerking when decelerating. The following have been done with the outcomes described.

IACV changed and TB cleaned - Now has fine idle and no jerking.

Although, when pressing the accelerator or holding it just below the top it slightly hesitates/surges forward.

I have been searching this forum, K20.org and other honda forums and noticed the above problem was common and no-one on here appears to have solved it?

Other forums suggest a range of things:

Engine mounts (Front changed 1k miles ago by TGM at service)

Poor IACV (Replaced recently)

Dirty TB (Cleaned when IACV changed)

TPS faulty

Harness faulty to TPS

So... I am going to give the TPS sensor a shot and the harness, so I need to find out what resistances/voltages I should expect across the harness to check that, and if anyone knows how to check the TPS?

Also I have noticed some slack in the throttle cable. I am guessing when set correctly and pushed with a finger it should only flex about 3/4mm before opening the butterfly. Could someone confirm this?

barsby2k10

Advanced Member
I have found the TPS voltages to be 4.5V at full throttle and 0.5V when closed from the RSX manual

Any ideas on the cable tolerance?

tomlin

Advanced Member
ps replaced tps and the harness done still jumping about, watch my other post

barsby2k10

Advanced Member
Cheers Tomlin.

The car is completely standard.

Do you know if the TPS is adjustable by rotating it? If this is the case, was the new one installed at the correct angle? I am getting a multimeter today to check voltages from the TPS under no throttle and full. Need to put two paper clips into the back of the connector to connect the multimeter, then move the throttle and check voltages, apparently.

Have you had the engine mounts checked and is the IACV clean?

barsby2k10

Advanced Member
Tomlin,

Just read through your posts. Mine seemed a bit similar to you, but not as bad. I had the hunting issue before, but the revs would hang at 3k which turned out to be the IACV, when very cold the car would kangaroo when slowing down to turn into junctions. I changed the IACV and the problem went away for me. The only thing remaining now is when the throttle is right at the top, it slightly surges when you press the throttle and opposite when you release it.

Have you had a new IACV/cleaned it?

barsby2k10

Advanced Member
The IACV is on the bottom of the throttle body. I would try cleaning it first using carb cleaner. There is a guide on here somewhere, I will try and find it. Do the revs stick at 3k when cold until you give the throttle a blip? Sometimes cleaning doesn't work tho, so Dave at Steels can get you a new one if this doesn't work.

Whilst you're at it I would clean the TB with carb cleaner too.

barsby2k10

Advanced Member
Been out tonight to measure voltage across the TPS. Put two paper clips into the back of the plug and measure across these two. Results:

Closed Throttle = 5V (reading 5.07V)
Open Throttle = 5V (reading 5.07V)

I am a bit confused by this as I expected 4.5 on both or 0.5 on both.

Any ideas?

How much is a new TPS?

PS. I have no K-Pro.

tomlin

Advanced Member
£80 from funky power who get it from spd ( paul from buddyclub)

sound like the tps is away i no what wrong with mean the tps was set the rong way and then iavc needed a good clean

barsby2k10

Advanced Member
Just re-checked the workshop manual.

The 5V is correct as it was across pins 1 & 3, not using diagnostics tool.

I continued throught the manual and checked resistances across pins 1 and 3 and got 0.9 ohms is which right on limit of 0.5 - 0.9 ohms.

Checked resistances across pins 2 and 1 and got 1.26 k ohms which should be 4.5 k ohms - Suggestion is new TB (Or TPS)

Cheers tomlin.

Cleaning IACV sorted it then?

barsby2k10

Advanced Member
Seems me fiddling with the wires or tightening the Throttle cable has sorted all.

I am guessing the off resistances were because I was measuring through the connector not directly to the TPS pins.

barsby2k10

Advanced Member
Result! Thought TPS was ok after adjusting the throttle cable, but still wasn't quite smooth enough for me. Finally managed to check the voltages from output of TPS to ground and they were off slightly (I wasn't pushing the paper clip in the rear of the connector far enough). Now set at 4.5V full throttle and 0.5V closed (Don't quite get why they were slightly off). Anyway just taken it out and its running the smoothest it has since I bought it!