Track and Road Wheels + Tyres

Just wondering what wheels tyres you guys would recommend for track and road use. Is it worth having the track ones a thicker profile, also what inch do you use on your tegs, it comes with 17" std so do any of you go below that? Are lighter ones like Rotas and Spoon better for track?

jonster

Advanced Member
Stock 17's are too heavy.

I like to run light 16's for the road with 205x50 profile. The best rubber is Toyo Proxy T1-S, T1-R or GoodYear Eagle F1's. The extra wall height makes the ride more supple and I don't find I loose any cornering ability.

For track I'm trying to get hold of 15" Team Dynamics. Run with some half slicks like Yokohama A032R or Toyo R888 or Dunlop D01J.

The ROTA range of wheels are very good value. Make sure you choose a the Circuit 10 model if you want to clear the DC5 front brake calipers. Also make sure you have the correct spigot rings supplied.

Spoon 15's are the ultimate for being super light and fitting perfectly without spigot rings. They are very expensive though.

Jon

steveD

at last some info on 16" rims, please can you tell me the exact spec (off set etc.,) to order from Rare Rims.

thanks, Steve

Evs

Advanced Member
Jon,

Can you tell me the spec of the correct spigot rings you refer to please? I've just bought some Rota C10s from RareRims in 7.5x17 ET45 which I was told would be fine on a DC5, but they didn't come with any spigot rings :?:

Thanks
Evs

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Guys,

Buying the ROTAs has been my first experience of buying new rims. I was tempted by the ROTAs because they were cheap and the lightest of the range was the Circuit 10 and the Slipsreams (the lightest). When I bought the 16" Slipstreams I found that I could only fitted with 5mm spacers to be able to clear the front Brembo calipers. The spacers I originally got were awful quality and gave me wheel wobble. I then switched to Eibach spacers which are very high quality and reduced the wobble. Unfortunately the centre bore of the Eibach spacers I got was too big hence I still have some wobble at 85MPH. I'm trying to get these changed.

In parallel to getting the Eibach spacers changed I've been waiting for RareRims to get some Circuit 10 16" rims for me. I believe these will fit without the need for spacers to clear the calipers. These are taking a while to arrive too.

The reason the Circuit 10s are more likely to fit compared to the Slipstreams is due to the wheel spoke design. The Slipstreams are a flat spoke where as the Circuit 10 spokes bow out a bit (looking down the side of the rim).

I didn't get spigot rings supplied with my Slipstreams but I belive RareRims have some on order. If you don't need spacers I think that they are less important. The wheel nuts and wheel bolt/stud holes are tapered and should centre the wheel when you tighten up. The spitgot rings will help guide the wheel better when going on.

The other thing to bare in mind with spacers is that you get less purchase in the hub bolts/studs. For this reason I don't trust my Slipstreams for track use. The Eibach kit comes with longer studs/bolts to replace the stock ones if you need to. Call Tom and T & G if you need some.

I've learned that other wheel suppliers machine the wheel to fit exactly your car hub profile (ie correct centre bore and no need for a spigot rings). The Team Dynamics I will hopefully get are machined this way. I think the ROTAs are designed to fit as many applications as possible hence you should use Spigot rings (which should really be supplied).

The spec for my 16's are ET 45, 114.3 PCD, 5 Stud 7" wide. The centre bore is 64.1mm which you need to mention when getting spigot rings. Ask RareRims to supply some to you.

Cheers,

Jon

Evs

Advanced Member
Thanks, Jon. :xnworthy:

Just had a closer look at the C10 and the centre bore diameter is about 62mm measured from the outside of the wheel (I'm only measuring it with a steel tape so can't say exactly!). Looking from the inside there's a larger bore of about 72mm, and the 62mm bore is 'countersunk' on the inside, if you see what I mean. :?

Looks like it'd be worth me getting some spigot rings as it must be better for the integrity of the assembly if everything fits together tightly before you bolt it up. :idea: Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Evs

steveD

that's a great help thanks Jon,

Rare Rims have some 16" 'Subzeros' arriving shortly and Julian (it is Julian isn't it?) @ RR has said they'll fit the DC5 no problem due to the spoke design. I presume I should expect the centres to come with them?

Incidentally, where's the cheapest place to buy the new Toyo T1R tyres (205/50) and also has anybody any experience of Avon ZZ1's?

Plus, is it worth buying them from Rare Rims to save the hassle of fitting/balancing separately?

thanks Steve

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Guys,

I haven't chased getting spigot rings from anyone other than Julian at RareRims hence I don't know who else to suggest. He did put me on to these chaps for the original spacers (which were not much cop) but their other products (such as light alloy nuts) were good.

http://www.graystonengineering.com

I'm not sure of the weight of the SubZeros. They look nice though. The picture of them looks like they may clear the caliper hopefully. I'd make sure with Julian that he does supply the spigots.

I've ordered two T1-Rs to try from a company called Bracknell Tyre & Battery (01344 411323). I'll be picking them up on Tuesday. I should have got them today but they ordered in T1-S's in by mistake. The T1-S's worked out at £77 inc VAT and fitting which I think is very good. I haven't got a price on the T1-R's yet. I'm not sure if they will post them to you.

I'm only buying two T1-R's because I want to see what they are like generally and also because I've gone for a slightly smaller overal diameter. I'm changing from 205 55 16 to 205 50 16. I'll let you know how I get on with them.

Another place I spotted on eBay of all places is Leigh Tyres. They also have their own web site :-

http://www.leightyres.co.uk/

They seemed too cheap to be true on eBay.

Don't know about the Avon's but I've seen them reveiwed in the latest EVO Magazine and they seemed to do well.

Cheers,

Jon

Evs

Advanced Member
Just to close the loop on the spigot ring question, in case anyone else is after some...

I never got a reply out of the supplier of the wheels, but managed to track some down from Rimstock. Can't seem to link directly to the page but go to accessories and then spigot rings, the part number is SR124. I ordered some through my local Halfords today, cost was £10 for a set of 4, I'm told they should be here in a week or so.