track preps

Duncs

i'm with truffs,
just counting down the days,
so,
do you track chaps advocate the use of an octane booster for the day?
is the standard brake fluid up to it ?
i presume it will be the front wheels/tyres take all the grief, so how do the backs stand up ? (thinking of putting a pair of Yokos on the front and saving my Goodyears GSD1s for the road) so how do you reckon it will go with missed matched fronts/rears ?
happy with the 5/30 oil choice, but the question is full or semi synthetic?
i have been a fan of Millers oils which i always used in my GTiR(comp spec for turbos 10/60) and it definetly kept the oil temp lower than other oil so any thoughts on their products in the Vtec?
Duncan

T666YPR

If I was you,I wouldn't mix the tyres.
With the same rubber on the car when you reach the limit,the car will breakaway progressively.
Mixed up,either the front or rear could break away first and maybe not so predictable.

The fronts will,however,certainly take the brunt of the wear.
The rears generally don't wear much at all.

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Duncs,

Running two different tyres is a tough one. The whole thing is complex having tyre compound, tread pattern, tyre pressure, temperature on the day, wet or dry and so on in the equation. The fact is, I've only ever seen or experienced the back coming out or a complete spin when the rear wheels loose grip. This has occured only when I've breaked too hard on a bend in the wet and when the tyres were too hot (melting) in the hot (mid summer). When the back goes light, that's when you can run in to problems. Because we are front wheel drive the I've never had the fronts loose grip from braking (because ABS helps) or cornering. The only time the fronts loose traction is when you boot it and even then you let the LSD do it's best and you can feather the throttle to keep the grip under control.

If I were you I would put the Yoko's at the front. I assuming they are harder compound than the F1's and are hence better to take the punishment. You'll really trash the front F1's on the track otherwise. If it looks like it's going to be a wet day, then just keep the F1's on all round. You'll get minimum wear and have the best grip.

Cheers,

Jon

ps2london

Advanced Member
don't mix the tyres, do u remember what happen to Mark at donington? put slick at front and semi slick at rear.

best thing is hire the instrustor, they will teach u the track, and correct your mistake, like brake not hard enough because u don't brake that hard on road, turn in too early and u don't have enough exit etc etc, really worth the money for people first time at track

ask for passager ride from other people, u will have more time to learn and watch around the track.

i have some octane booster, i can get u a bottle,is good for the engine for sure, me and mark use them on track.

i am sure we all will have a good time :)

jonster

Advanced Member
Well, if you talking about mixing slicks / half-slicks I'd have to agree with you Franz. The level of grip demanded a this level is a whole lot more critical.

I still think mixing Yoko's with F1's is fine. I'd do it to save trashing good road tyres. I managed to destroy a fresh set of F1's at Bedford last time I was there in the summer. Expensive excercise!

Cheers,

Jon

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
so,
do you track chaps advocate the use of an octane booster for the day?

DEFO.. MORE THE BETTER I SAY

is the standard brake fluid up to it ?

I DON'T THINK ANY OF US HAVE CHANGED OUR BRAKE FLUID TO ANYTHING FANCY AND IT WORKS A TREAT.. NO BRAKE FADE..

i presume it will be the front wheels/tyres take all the grief, so how do the backs stand up ?

THEY SEEM TO BOTH GO TOGETHER TO BE HONEST..

PERSONALLY I THINK THAT YOKOS AND GOODYEARS PATTEN ARE ABOUT THE SAME SO YOU SHOULD BE OK

happy with the 5/30 oil choice, but the question is full or semi synthetic?

FULL I WOULD SAY .. I RUN ON RS 10/60 FULL

i have been a fan of Millers oils which i always used in my GTiR(comp spec for turbos 10/60) and it definetly kept the oil temp lower than other oil so any thoughts on their products in the Vtec?

PASS, NEVER USED MILLERS APART FROM THEIR OCTANE PRODUCT.

I would also add, if you have one, bring a jerry can filled with opti max or whatever you use, as the petrol there is not cheap....

UW

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Mark,

Do you feel you get more power from the Octane boost or do you just use it to keep detonation at bay?

Cheers bud,

Jon

Duncs

thanks for the replies, so it just the tyres that seem to be the question, a set of spares seems the way to go,

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Duncs,

As I've said before. It makes sense to get another set of wheels for the track. Smaller lighter rims are better in my mind because of cheaper running costs and performance. I'm sure you'll sell your 17" Yoko tyres easily, especially if they are the rare ones only supplied from Japan.

Cheers,

Jon

Tarmac

Advanced Member
I can recommend Silkolene Pro Boost or Millers for your octance booster. I'm sure there are ones just as good and possibly ones better, but I've had great results with these on a tank of Esso Super Unleaded (we don't get Shell Optimax over here grrrr).

Oil, go with fully sinthetic - I've just put all Redline oils into my teg and am still waiting the results, but my mate who has an S2000 did the same a while ago and it is good stuff - decreases oil change interval and the oil stays curiously cleaner for longer.

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
jonster said:
Hi Mark,

Do you feel you get more power from the Octane boost or do you just use it to keep detonation at bay?

Cheers bud,

Jon
Just for the detonation my friend.. although you can get some nice flames out the back too.. :D

Mark

jonster

Advanced Member
Cheers Mark.

I didn't think it was for more power. I only ever see detonation with low revs combined with a high gear. I've mostly mapped this out now. I don't see this happening on the track at WOT most of the time so I'm not sure why I need Octane boost.

Maybe you do get more power and it's your secret weapon to be the fastest on the day !!!!

:)

Jon

Tarmac

Advanced Member
you most definately do get more power with Silkolene Pro Boost and Millers albeit a small amount - every little bit helps trying to get your nose across the finish line first :wink: