Trackday Helmets - Advice

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi all I am in the market for a new Crash Helmet at the moment, I have received one I liked but am looking at a few more (as I like to have a few choices) :)

I have found one more I like but some are and some are not ECU approved... Does this matter for car trackdays as I have read online as below, but I think this is more in place for bikes:

Only helmets with an ACU gold sticker on them can be used on a track in the UK. The only exception is if you're from out side the UK and your helmet is appr" oved by any other FIM authorised body. But you may be surprised to find they're not mandatory for all helmets, i.e. all helmets don't require an ACU sticker.

The ECE 22.05 standard (also known as ECE R22-05) is a European helmet standard. Helmets approved to this standard usually have a sticker at the bottom on the back of the helmet. The ECE standard does not have different levels like the British standard does. A third standard, the ACU Gold standard, is used for racing. "

Some of the Helmets I have seen state they are " ECER 22 05 Standard Fully road legal " but upon receiving one it does not have the ACU gold sticker on the back...

Do you think the one I have (NON ACU approved but ECU approved will be ok for track days)?

Thanks

Carl

spooke

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi all I am in the market for a new Crash Helmet at the moment, I have received one I liked but am looking at a few more (as I like to have a few choices) :)

I have found one more I like but some are and some are not ECU approved... Does this matter for car trackdays as I have read online as below, but I think this is more in place for bikes:

Only helmets with an ACU gold sticker on them can be used on a track in the UK. The only exception is if you're from out side the UK and your helmet is appr" oved by any other FIM authorised body. But you may be surprised to find they're not mandatory for all helmets, i.e. all helmets don't require an ACU sticker.

The ECE 22.05 standard (also known as ECE R22-05) is a European helmet standard. Helmets approved to this standard usually have a sticker at the bottom on the back of the helmet. The ECE standard does not have different levels like the British standard does. A third standard, the ACU Gold standard, is used for racing. "

Some of the Helmets I have seen state they are " ECER 22 05 Standard Fully road legal " but upon receiving one it does not have the ACU gold sticker on the back...

Do you think the one I have (NON ACU approved but ECU approved will be ok for track days)?

Thanks

Carl
I don't think they'll care as long as it's a helmet. When you sign up for the trackday it's all your own responsibility anyway so I'd say it's down to you and how much you want to protect your head :D (I'm sure most if not all helmets will be better than no helmet inside a car).

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Standard Life rules apply for anything safety wise.

Buy the best you can afford, your brain is pretty fundamental to life.

Worth looking at used with expired FIA approved on fleabay too. May not be good for competition any more, but will still be better than most for track days. Obviously just make sure there's no damage.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
This is what I was thinking but I was not sure if some tracks around have set rules that the crash helmets have to be X Y or Z approved, I am looking at a Shark one at present I really like and have my old one that's fully approved also but was shocked that the one just purchased is not approved by one of the regulators (or if it is does not have the sticker), shame as its a really nice one but think I may return it.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I've never once had my helmet checked in over 10 track days.*

*So many innuendos!
Lol, no I never had mine checked in the past, but it's been a while (over 6 years since I have driven a car on track) and thought things may have changed or toughened up as they normally do and want to ensure that I have the best I can have to be safe (for me and the passenger's) if I have any :)

PS,how's the Ironman Crash helmet?

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I'm still using my 8 year old ARAI helmet. Never been checked. Ever.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

FireDance

Advanced Member
Same as Chris, never had my helmet checked

You will not be allowed to wear a motorcross helmet.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Same as Chris, never had my helmet checked

You will not be allowed to wear a motorcross helmet.
Yeah I thought that but I actually used my motorcross one at the Brands Hatch Feb track day and was ok wearing it as a passenger but going forward I will have two full face ones (for me and my passengers who don't have their own) as long as their heads are a small also :)