Trackday Tyres

James-T

Advanced Member
Chaps,

I've been looking at fitting some kind of trackday tyre to the Teg but just end up going round and round in circles.

Main trade-offs are obviously the stickier they are, the more of a nightmare they can be in the wet.

My Teg sits in the garage for sunny days so I don't really need to worry about the wet, however if a trackday is booked, or it starts raining half way through a trackday, I don't want to be touching cloth & regretting the road going slicks!

Looking at the likes of :

-Michelin Pilot Cup 2
-Nangkang AR1
-Toyo R888R

Do any of you fellas have experience with any of this rubber - especially wet grip/safety?

Cheerzen!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
If you want to avoid bad tyres for wet/damp then avoid Nangkang AR1 they are amazing in warm and hot conditions but they are nasty in wet and damp, they also don't last that long.
Out of the above Michelin Pilot Cup 2 or PS4 woud be the best all-round tyre I would say if you're worried about the potential wet/damp issues that can be faced with others.

AD08R's were a great all-rounder for all conditions but the AD08RS (it's replacement I have heard is not as good and it's lost a lot of the grip/feel drivers get from the older tyre), a few mates have tried them and didn't get on with them, that said if you never used AD08R's then you may like the RS as it's mainly those who have had both that notice the difference.

I am sure there are a few posts on here if you do a search you will find info and reviews on tyres as I recall a post a while back where some of us were discussing similar

James-T

Advanced Member
Thanks mate.

I did indeed used to use AD08R back in the day on my old Teg. They were OK, but didn't blow me away dry grip wise - hence not really interested in the new RS version.

I'd be concerned the PS4 would be a bit too soft in sidewall for a track tyre (especially after watching 'tyre reviews' video on it). Shame we cannot get the PS4S in 17" yet.

I did do a bit of a search on tyres, but many threads are 3 years+ old, and would like an up to date opinion as tyre tech is ever evolving!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks mate.

I did indeed used to use AD08R back in the day on my old Teg. They were OK, but didn't blow me away dry grip wise - hence not really interested in the new RS version.

I'd be concerned the PS4 would be a bit too soft in sidewall for a track tyre (especially after watching 'tyre reviews' video on it). Shame we cannot get the PS4S in 17" yet.

I did do a bit of a search on tyres, but many threads are 3 years+ old, and would like an up to date opinion as tyre tech is ever evolving!
Cant recall which is was but I am sure Sam used PS4 and/or Michelin Pilot Cup 2 and rated them.

AD08R are good but not life changing, that said I have never had an issue with them, I think your best bet would be spare wheels like I have and run track tyres on one and road legal good tyres on another and make a call for each day before leaving home (then if weather changes you just have to deal with it unfortunately).

Could always consider the Federal 595 RS-R or maybe Avon ZZR

Tyres are a real hit and miss and very specific to ones driving style and needs annoyingly as one tyre working for one wont be as good to someone else, e.g. I love AD08R as a road/track tyre whereas you say you didn't like them that much, I have very good lap times on them and AR1's are imo far better but as said pants in damp or wet conditions but they are my next replacement (going back to them) but from memory some tyre posts were in the Trackday part of the forum and not this one, so if you searched this part also you may get some more info

James-T

Advanced Member
I think you‘ve hit the nail on the head mate. There will always be a compromise - so two sets of wheels and tyres makes sense.

And I‘ll sell it to the Mrs by saying there is a safety issue if it rains with the AR1s, so I‘ll have to have another set to swap to to be safe and not die 😂

It‘ll definitely work. 🤫

Mebz

Advanced Member
Not tried any of the 3 tyres you've listed but it all depends on your plan for the car.

If you plan on doing a track day here and there, I would go for the ps4. They are excellent on the road and ok on track. They may not give you the best lap time but do you really care.

On the road, ps4 are miles better than ad08r. Having driven both on the road, I dont understand where the hype came from for the ad08r. On track, yes the ad08r are marginally better in the dry. In the wet ps4 are much better.

I run ps4 on one set of wheels and ad08r on another set of wheels. I'm waiting to finish off the ad08r and then will go for ar1. Never tried the ar1 so cant say much other than what's already on the internet.

In summary... if it's an occasional track day here and there, get ps4. If it's more dedicated track car, get two sets of wheels.

Ps4 for wet days and driving to and from track. Proper semi slick like ar1/r888r etc for dry days.

Ricky11

Id avoid R888's the overall grip fades pretty quickly on a trackday and youll feel unimpressed given the price they are.

If buying new Dunlop Direzza 03G would be my choice the overall grip is amazing and they didnt drop off much and the life span was pretty impressive. Spending £700 on a set of tyres you'd want them to last a good amount of time.

Saying that, I buy second hand Avon ZZR tyres from people who race MX5 (I think its MX5's), they buy a new set and use the fresh rubber for a 20 min race and sell them on to recoupe money for a new set. I think I paid £250/£300 for a whole set and they last me well.

James-T

Advanced Member
Thanks for the advice guys.

The car is going to be used for fast dry road fun at weekends and trackdays as & when.

I think the suggestion for two sets of wheels/tyres just makes sense - or as a start, could get something like the PS4, get them on track and see if I feel they are enough - if not then get the other set with some AR1s for instance.

skengdR

Advanced Member
Nankang probably the best out of those 3 in the dry

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I've used Cup 2 and AR1 on my DC5 on track.

AR1:

Incredibly sticky tyre, outright grip is mind blowing. They're super soft so they will wear incredibly fast, I'd probably go for Direzza DZ03G personally over AR1 as they seem to last longer.

The AR1's are expensive you're looking at £650 for a set just in 225 size. They're also awful to drive on the road with, ridiculously noisy and absolutely no wet grip whatsoever.

Cup 2:

Value for money is brilliant, you can get a set of 4 in 225 off the Internet for £410 delivered. I'm using them now and they're great on track. Definitely no where near as grippy as the AR1 but the Cup 2 is no where near as focussed like an AR1/Direzza. You can still use them on road no bother and I've also used the Cup 2 on a wet Donington and they coped just fine. I'm sticking with Cup 2 as they're great for the price, not as quick as AR1/Direzza but I'm happy with them and will continue using them.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

James-T

Advanced Member
Hmmm so the Cup 2's will deal with some water. I wonder if that could be the tyre which does it all for me.

I've only seen reviews of the Cup 2's in the wet in RWD cars and they look like a right handful - I guess in our cars they'd be a lot safer.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
James T said:
Hmmm so the Cup 2's will deal with some water. I wonder if that could be the tyre which does it all for me.

I've only seen reviews of the Cup 2's in the wet in RWD cars and they look like a right handful - I guess in our cars they'd be a lot safer.
Here's me demolishing an RS4 on Cup 2 at Donington in the rain they can handle a wet track, obviously they won't be amazing but still usable. I had the pleasure of driving on the road in the rain while on AR1 and it was scary experience, I wouldn't even entertain using them in the wet on track.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I had the pleasure of driving on the road in the rain while on AR1 and it was scary experience, I wouldn't even entertain using them in the wet on track.

Cup 2 Will more than likely be my next road tyre or PS4's and AR1's for track again, I miss them but they are dangerous in wet conditions...

Love that pic mate, I must be really lucky as in 21 yrs I have not had a wet trackday yet lol. Even the first few in the DC5 I got lucky, rain all week, come the weekend (for a Sat trackday) and it was 23 degrees :)

Linus27

Advanced Member
For my DC5, on track I use AD08R's and they are phenomenal, especially in the wet and I found no issues with them losing grip at all. I love wet track days and thankfully, around 75% of my track days have been wet. Unfortunately, you can no longer get them so I am planning on trying R888r's next as I believe these are even more track focused.

My RS Megane Cup does have Cup 2 tyres and they do seem very very good. Its hard to compare as it a totally different type of car to the DC5 but I am very happy and if I was going to have an all round tyre then I would consider them.

A wet and very slippy Spa,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ4bgZ5qADA&t=202s

This is chasing down a couple of DC2's at Castle Combe,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRfRnlH2TVY

Car has induction, exhaust, Spoon Springs, remap and AD08R's.

rsmithinfo

Advanced Member
When I raced a 944 Direzzas were the tyre of choice - not always easy to get a hold of though.

I‘ve bought some EP3 CTR wheels for track so reading this thread I‘ll put some decent road tyres that can do wet and some more sticky and then I‘ve got both covered.

What do you do with the other set of wheels on the day? Just leave them in the garage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
rsmithinfo said:
When I raced a 944 Direzzas were the tyre of choice - not always easy to get a hold of though.

I‘ve bought some EP3 CTR wheels for track so reading this thread I‘ll put some decent road tyres that can do wet and some more sticky and then I‘ve got both covered.

What do you do with the other set of wheels on the day? Just leave them in the garage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I leave all my stuff in the garage mate (another reason it‘s better to do trackdays when people can be there a i generally have mates that come along) and we can put tools in their cars or someone‘s generally near the garage to make sure nothings taken etc

Rare that it happens but it has happened

Linus27

Advanced Member
Yeah, as Carl says, leave them stacked in the garage so always good to hire one. If you ever do Castle Combe or Bedford then buy a tarpaulin in case it rains as no garages available at those circuits.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
Yeah, as Carl says, leave them stacked in the garage so always good to hire one. If you ever do Castle Combe or Bedford then buy a tarpaulin in case it rains as no garages available at those circuits.
Cadwell is the same too, no garages which is annoying when you want to leave your stuff. If you can book a garage at circuits I reccomend you do so.

rsmithinfo

Advanced Member
I‘ve normally had a garage it‘s just it‘s also normally open. Especially dc5 wheels with decent tyres are quite nickable! Friends are a good way I agree I‘ll probably be there with one other anyway