Treating arch rust

dotty

Advanced Member
Just been checking over the car and observed a couple of small rust patches on the arches, nothing sinister as its only surface rust from stones I expect - but want to get it attended to. I will pay a visit to TGM shortly and get a quote from Willie for a respray.

Has anyone had their arches sprayed ? I believe you can get some sort of clear plastic coating for them too?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
All the time, it's an annual event! Yes you can get a rubbery over spray to help but rust will always eat though the back and burst through, it's a nightmare !

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

dotty

Advanced Member
You get yours sprayed annually?

Mine aren't bad tbh but I know it spreads if not treated. I've looked around and it's only surface rust. I think DC2's suffer from it behind the arches but this is on top near the wheel.

dotty

Advanced Member
Found a couple of pics from when another owner (though this looks like really bad rust) had his repaired.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
My rear arches were rank horrible before i got the sorted tail end of last year. I'll need to go take some pictures for you at some stage Dot.

Had them rolled and welded at the same time and the entire arch area re-undersealed. The boy did an amazing job on them and i am super happy, should be good for another 12 years :p

truupR

Advanced Member
I'm having my 1 arch done on the 16th as it's starting to creep ever so slightly. I'll get some before and after pics. Rather get it done now than let it get to the point of no return

p1tse

Advanced Member
Dotty, I've got something very similar and looking to get it treated before it grows

Although I want to get some underseal done to the car too so will enquire all at the same time

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
its a nightmare, you'll get it cleaned up and resprayed but it will come back within a year.

What you see is just the outside face, what you cant see is it festering between the 2 skins.

I think a treatment of POR15 would rectify this for sure, but a cleanup and respray just prolongs it.

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
Rust prevention paint, three stage thing... It's amazing... Just had my rear end behind the bumper done in it.... It dries like concrete, and the second stage includes a zinc phosphate layer, very similar to etch priming... It's not uv resistant though, but in arches should be fine, if not, can be painted over... I'd recommend it to everyone!

MrRy

Advanced Member
I had to have my entire rear arches cut out of the DC2. Very expensive so get it cut out ASAP if its worse than it looks on face value... which it usually is.

In fact had rust cut out of the arches of my s2k As they suffer as well.

If you want the best stuff for cleaning rust and protection check out Bilt Hamber.

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
As chewy said, frost is where I got mine from... And they have loads of great products for restoration/rust protection, of all the reviews por15 got the best

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Por15 produces it's best results when used on bare metal, it's a great product though and still creates a decent barrier if you don't get it back to bare metal. I would definitely be putting a rust converter on there as well, and force it in between the skins if possible.

I second the use of Bilt Hamber, they produce some great products.

DC5DAVE

That's at the very early stages Dotty, but as others say it's a PITA to keep it away. A good paint shop should manage to bare metal that and paint only the lip itself using a soft edge to the quarter so shouldn't really be a noticeable repair. You don't want to let it creep any further though, get is seen to asap to save more expensive work.

Teggs

New car,

champ white,

champ white,

champ white.......

british winter....