Troubleshooting

Jmc69

Hi all, new on the forum , bought dc5 last year with injen intake and sports manifold (dc I think) and updated fuel pump .... had issues with ELD which was replaced, anyway out in a blast tonight having fun with a 3 series on way home around 140mph on a PRIVATE ROAD I bogged out for a split second then corrected itself ... ( I had issues with fuel pick up previously but corrected ,this was due to poor clip connection inside) so I stopped fuelled up got 15-20 miles not far from home and she cuts out completely leaving me with the eml showing turned ignition off and on started but not as sharp as usual again leaving eml lit up ... 2mile trip home from here had a hand full of splutters but no cut out... before I go to garage any suggestions ? or am I just being to vague and hopefull trying to explain here ... and just get down to the garage the temps haven’t changed the oil level seems fine

Last edited:

Jmc69

So found the CPS was the code but the eml likes to pick and choose when it wants to illuminate... so I’m lead to believe this could be a loom/connection issue again any input would be great as I said before this problem had occurred and thought it was due to faulty eld which was replaced along with the cps so now am convinced it’s wiring / connection

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Firstly I’d edit my post if I was you, openly admitting doing 140mph on a public road isn’t the best move on an open web forum...

If you want to use the car properly pay and get on track you won’t regret it, but forums can be looked through so don’t advertise the speeds your doing on the roads mate

Jmc69

So... after thinking problem had resolved it’s self by back light on my cluster on dash has now went checked fuses none have blown . Any help would be appreciated,

Jmc69

Firstly I’d edit my post if I was you, openly admitting doing 140mph on a public road isn’t the best move on an open web forum...

If you want to use the car properly pay and get on track you won’t regret it, but forums can be looked through so don’t advertise the speeds your doing on the roads mate
Edited* to say private roads , although I never said where or what roads still edited

JustinEET

Advanced Member
So... after thinking problem had resolved it’s self by back light on my cluster on dash has now went checked fuses none have blown . Any help would be appreciated,
Inspect the harness that runs along the chassis to make sure you did not do physical damage when possibly bottoming out due to hooning around on the streets.
Then next could possibly be your ECU. But this type of issue will require someone physically present to troubleshoot your voltage drops.

Jmc69

Inspect the harness that runs along the chassis to make sure you did not do physical damage when possibly bottoming out due to hooning around on the streets.
Then next could possibly be your ECU. But this type of issue will require someone physically present to troubleshoot your voltage drops.
Thanks turns out I’m an idiot and had turned dial when cleaning , as for my other problems suspected timing chain stretched possibly threw the sensor (stretch + heat) coming up to 100k so changing the chain today plus full service hoping that sorts any issues failing that electrical hunt as heard with the poly bushes there can be issues catching the wires ‍♂ All speculation atm

JustinEET

Advanced Member
Thanks turns out I’m an idiot and had turned dial when cleaning , as for my other problems suspected timing chain stretched possibly threw the sensor (stretch + heat) coming up to 100k so changing the chain today plus full service hoping that sorts any issues failing that electrical hunt as heard with the poly bushes there can be issues catching the wires ‍♂ All speculation atm
Make sure take a look at the chain guides. They typically go before the chain does.