Type R frank, worth it?

2Cent

This may have been asked before but I mostly found k24s mated with K20A2 heads rather than the ITR K20A.

I have DC5 ITR and started taking it to the track chasing the clock and other cars. The ITR is surprisingly fast especially in the corners even in the hands of a beginner like myself but it lacks power for the straight against the competition. A Modified class has started and the cars that would be my competition are all 2.0T including a 2018 Focus ST, two Golf 5 GTIs, an S14, older 2005 focus st and possibly a k20 eg6 coming soon.

I've got corner speed but I need more acceleration so I'm not left behind on the straights so should I go with a frank or work the K20A a bit? What could I expect from this frank with type s block? Seems like the frank would be cheaper and give lots more oomph out the corner if I account for just the type S engine + Kpro vs a built K20A with cams, springs, retainers, IM, EM, TB etc..

My setup currently includes:
63mm catback,
Original intake and exhaust manifolds and TB.
Cold air intake with K&N filter
Test pipe,
Sump baffle,
Ohlins coilovers with camber adjustment,
Rear camber arms,
Front and rear strut bars

I haven't dyno'd the car so have no idea what power I'm making right now.

Last edited:

2Cent

I haven't mentioned turbo because I like NA and also because I want a reliable setup and not have problems with the bits transmitting that torque to the ground

Mebz

Advanced Member
The other option to consider is just get a k24 from an accord and change the oil pump, vtc gear and cams.