Tyre sizes...

Sylar122

Advanced Member
Currently got 215 40 17's on i believe the OEM is 215 45 17's? is there a huge noticeable difference between the two?

Erm

Advanced Member
The aspect ratio is wrong. The 215/45/17 is correct for OEM. When you are due new tyres put the correct size on.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
As Erm said it's not correct but it's not dangerous. You can deviate from the exact spec here and there without going too far. I always run 40 profile on track as it gives a stiffer tyre wall so less movement when changing direction. Negative is that it's a harsher ride on road as less air to obsorb the bump!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Erm

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
As Erm said it's not correct but it's not dangerous. You can deviate from the exact spec here and there without going too far. I always run 40 profile on track as it gives a stiffer tyre wall so less movement when changing direction. Negative is that it's a harsher ride on road as less air to obsorb the bump!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
Yup should have said its nothing to be too worried about, just run them til then need changing then put on the correct size for normal everyday use

Sylar122

Advanced Member
okay cheers guys, rear are on their way out but front are okay atm. reluctant to pay loads of tyres with it coming to winter though, anyone had any experience with winter tyres?

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
I run a set of Hankook Icebears W300's for winter, have been on my car for the last 3 years and they are spot on, i have a spare set of alloys for them so i just jack the car up at the end of october and change them over :)

Soon actually thinking about it!

Sylar122

Advanced Member
Coldfuse said:
I run a set of Hankook Icebears W300's for winter, have been on my car for the last 3 years and they are spot on, i have a spare set of alloys for them so i just jack the car up at the end of october and change them over :)

Soon actually thinking about it!
Cheers mate il look into them not sure if to buy winter ones or just go all out and just get the Goodyears i was after lol

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Sylar122 said:
Cheers mate il look into them not sure if to buy winter ones or just go all out and just get the Goodyears i was after lol
Ultimately, it depends on your circumstances, i live in the north east of Scotland (not your English "north" that means middle of Britain) where we will very likely get snow every winter. As my Integra is my daily driver, i would argue that i need them.

If however you live in or around London, or the south of England its perhaps not as necessary.

DC5RS

DC5
I had 215/40/17 when i got the car and the difference is VERY Noticeable. The car seemed to spin a lot for nothing. the speed gauge IMO was incorrect and it seemed to me the driving was not as good as i expected.

Changing to 215/45/17 resolved everything and i am finally enjoying my Type R

Sylar122

Advanced Member
DC5RS said:
I had 215/40/17 when i got the car and the difference is VERY Noticeable. The car seemed to spin a lot for nothing. the speed gauge IMO was incorrect and it seemed to me the driving was not as good as i expected.

Changing to 215/45/17 resolved everything and i am finally enjoying my Type R
ive noticed the speedo myself is incorrect by abit is that due to the lower profile tyres?

Sylar122

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Hi mate.

I went for these but in the 91XL ones which have a stiffer sidewall, Camskill don't seem to have them in stock at the moment.

Normally they're found via this link. The size is 215/45/17 91XL's.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b2324s15p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_17_inch_Goodyear_Tyres_Car_Goodyear_Eagle_F1_Asymmetric_2_-_R17_inch_-_215_45_17_215_45R17
cheers mate, thats because theyve got em on special offer :p haha theres near enough 15 quid savings for all 4 there

DC5RS

DC5
Sylar122 said:
ive noticed the speedo myself is incorrect by abit is that due to the lower profile tyres?
most probably, since i changed tyres to correct size everything is sorted

Sylar122

Advanced Member
DC5RS said:
most probably, since i changed tyres to correct size everything is sorted
Brilliant well ive order my new tyres Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2's 215 45 17 looking forward to experiencing them! shame about the weather though :(