Tyre weight

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Does anyone know of a tyre weight database?

The weight of wheels is often talked about, but never it seems the weight of the tyres they're wrapped in.

I'm surprised it's not common knowledge, it would play a big influence on tyre choice for me.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
I always just assumed all tyres of the same size would be roughly the same, give or take a few lb?

dave c

400hp K20
not aware of a specific database but I know that RE070's are quite a heavy tyre, I put this down to the sturdy sidewall. Even given they are a heavy tyre I wouldn't let that put you off as they suit the teg very well. Just get super light forged wheels to offset the weight :)

if you do come across one I'd be interested to see it.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Well that's what got me thinking, the fact that the re070's are heavy.

I've got super light forged 6kg wheels, but I don't want to use them to offset the weight, I want to keep it as low as possible with tyre selection.

integraleo

Advanced Member
After replacing f1s with Re070s I couldn't say I noticed any performance loss in regards to straight line speed,just higher cornering speeds. Even with the re070s being bloody heavy and offsetting any weight saving you might get with light weight wheels I wouldn't give them up

Kevin85

Advanced Member
It's not something you would feel, but if it can be improved, that's enough for me. Every little helps, especially in the rotational unsprung area. It's the reason I chose two peice discs and 6kg wheels, little savings add up to several kg per corner.

The ad08r's are light and have reported good wet weather manners for Spa and the ring in October.

jrscho

Advanced Member
dave c said:
R888's seem lighter but wont last nearly as long on the road obviously
Also the fact they are only about 5mm to begin with, so not surprised they would be lighter..

I know where your coming from with weight savings but what's weight if it doesn't grip etc. A slightly heavier tyre but sticks you to the road would be faster than a light tyre that could tyre spin etc..

Why not shed some weight off the car itself if you want it to be lighter? Strip it out etc.. That'll be more weight off the car than Afew lb off tyres.. Nevertheless interesting question! Kinda curious myself now lol need new front tyres in Afew months as well!

Kevin85

Advanced Member
All true, but only a silly billy would fit shitty tyres for weight saving. Unless they wanted to be hella s1ck st4nce wizard. And then again, see 'silly billy'.

Ad08r is a sticky tyre, nicely priced, light weight and decent in the wet, relative to other performance tyres.

Plus, above all else, I can paint YOKOHAMA ADVAN on them and pretend kanjo racecar.

SnejVTEC

Advanced Member
It's not allways about being faster. Lighter wheels/tyres makes the car more responsive and better accelerating.

Lighter wheels = better steering feel

The tyre weight are more noticeable than the rim weight as the tires are further away from the wheel center. ;)