Underseal/Rust

yn08_teg

Hi guys

So I was having a look under the car recently and below are 2 photos where what I think is the underseal that was previously applied dropping down and coming away. Underneath is the brown/orange that you can see in the pictures. My first thought was oh no, that's rust... but thinking about it, to me that seems way too brightly coloured to be rust and I think it is just part of the underseal and it's natural colour. It also appears where the underseal is separating, which tells me that may just be the natural colour and nothing to worry about.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Kind Regards

Screenshot_20200729-184406_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200729-184512_Gallery.jpg

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
The wax won't droop off. Or certainly not in my experience. That's probably happened when it was initially applied and maybe someone put too much in that area. As you can see in other areas it will usually crack and flake off when it gets old.

To me it looks like rust and the reason it's separated is because it pokes it ways through. I have clear underseal on my car and there's one area under the boot floor that has a tiny circle of surface rust and it poked away at the underseal.

This is the problem with black underseal. It's not easy to go back and monitor the car for any rust. The only way you'll really know is to take the underseal off in that area. You can always wire wool or sand off the rust and then reapply the waxoil in that particular area.

Personally I have clear waxoil on the full underside and front arches. My rear has some dark stuff but my next job is to clean it up and apply some new stuff as the old stuff is flaking off. Dark waxoil is apparently harder wearing so it's good to use in the arches where it gets the most wear.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
The fact it's cracked means moisture is in there now anyway, so if you want it to last you need to clean it up and reapply.

yn08_teg

I definitely want to take a closer look, clean it up and reapply. Sadly I have no means of doing that at the moment, short of taking it to a garage to have a look at.