VTEC Sound

karan

Hi All

Went to look at a dc5 today. Engine wise the car is standard but it does have a 5zigen exhaust. When I took it for a test drive the vtec sounded a lot more quiter compared to others I have experienced but they were modded. Is the vtec supposed to sound quiter if the engine is left standard.

Also I found water in the spare wheel area but was not sure where the leak is from. Is this something to worry about or costly fix.

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
Could be the standard airbox still on? When I got mine you couldnt really hear the crossover but when I changed to an AEM v2 there was a huge difference and a clear change in sound. Swimming pool in the bootwell is really common too and almost 100% coming in from the rear light seals. Theres a how to guide on how to sort it on the site. :)

-Birdy-

Advanced Member
Vtec crossover sound varies depending on the intake that is fitted to the car. If the car has a standard airbox then it will be barely noticable where as with an aftermarket induction such as aem, gruppe m etc the noise made in vtec will be much more noticable.

As for the water in the boot, it will be a rear light seal which is letting water in, its a common problem and can be fixed by removing lights and re sealing them.

Hope this helps

Type K

Advanced Member
iv got a buddyclub cold air induction on mine and i still cant hear vtec much so cant imagine how quite it is on a standard airbox

karan

How much would it cost me to get the proper vtec sound, would I just need a intake then.

The guy said that if I remove the silcency tip thingy ( just one bolt) you can hear the vtec and makes a big difference. Is this true?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'm guessing you mean the exhaust bung. Yes it will make a difference. Generally if it's an aftermarket exhaust system I'd expect to be able to hear vtec crossover. The induction noise just makes it that bit louder due to proximity to the interior.

A second hand AEM can usually be picked up for around £100 if that's all you're after but there are other considerations you should make before swapping out such as heat soak and also the chances of hydro lock with a cai design. Best do some searching on what your options are first I would say.

karan

davidpingu said:
I'm guessing you mean the exhaust bung. Yes it will make a difference. Generally if it's an aftermarket exhaust system I'd expect to be able to hear vtec crossover. The induction noise just makes it that bit louder due to proximity to the interior.

A second hand AEM can usually be picked up for around £100 if that's all you're after but there are other considerations you should make before swapping out such as heat soak and also the chances of hydro lock with a cai design. Best do some searching on what your options are first I would say.
It was a little tip that took a few seconds to unscrew and the exhaust sounded so much louder when stationary.

Linus27

Advanced Member
I have Spoon mid pipe, Spoon N1 back box and OEM airbox and I can't hear any VTEC crossover noise. All I feel is the surge at 6k revs.

karan

Hmmm this is started to worry me now. I thought one of the best part of vtec was the cross over sound. The two i looked at before sounded amazing.

Have guys done any bimta checks on ur dc5 if it didnt come with any paper work.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
I have Spoon mid pipe, Spoon N1 back box and OEM airbox and I can't heR any VTEC crossover noise. All I feel is the surge at 6k revs.
Hmm that's interesting. I guess it's just louder through the whole rev range. I've heard them on standard intake from outside and crossover was as clear as day but perhaps it's being sat inside that makes the difference.

A cone design filter will give you a much louder noise without a doubt. Mine still has an oem exhaust on but when I had my short ram intake on the noise in VTEC was huge and actually deafening near the limiter.

It's still for sale if you're interested but comes as part of a cooling system. If you're interested look for SARD parts in the for sale section.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
We've had this before so just checking your definitely putting your foot to the floor when going past 6,000 RPM. It generally won't engage vtec at part throttle

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Then just get an intake, job done. :)

Think wingnutz on here has one for sale thats an open filter, but I can vouch for that SARD that Dave has being loud, fab noise. ;)

MaxJ

Advanced Member
Check the oil level as well! Although, that's a given for buying any car.

karan

Would you guys get the bimta check done. It was bought from SVA imports by the owner and i aint heard too many good points about them.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Why are you worrying over a noise.

You do hear a slight difference in engine noise but nothing massive, just enjoying taking it beyond 6000 rpm. Most other cars would blow up before you could rev that high.