Washing during Winter

Cennix1

Well it's that time of year again I suppose, Leicester absolutely covered in snow today!

How often do you guys wash your cars during winter? I try to wash it at the latest 3 days after driving on gritted roads, and avoid driving as much as possible!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Haha ive washed in the rain before, with a head torch on, and a site light in the garage to help visabilty.. it was literally just to keep stuff off it really, sometimes it was left to drip dry as it were, wasn‘t anything special but it certainly helped keep the salt off it. :) Just don‘t wash it (if your brave) in the evening if theres a frost potentially in the evening, or i usually used to aim for every Saturday to give it a proper going over. But that was when I used to Daily it. :) Now it‘s tucked up nice and dry.

Cennix1

Can't say I have ever washed it in the rain but I did wash it one Christmas morning at 8am! Having it tucked away in the winter sounds appealing to say the least, I am considering getting a daily as well, probably just a mazda3 or mazda6 to be a workhorse. But I'll need to hurry up and get a place with a garage for that. I was suprised when she managed to start up in -7 the other morning I must admit!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Best thing I ever did was get a daily, I bought a Toyota corolla e11. Perfect boot size, big enough for all the crappy stuff, comfy, and went well enough not to worry about leaving it in the frost. it had 200000 miles plus on it, and it was dirt cheap to run/insure. In the two years I had it, it wanted a new battery (£40) , some front tyres (£35 each) and a handbrake cable (£60 fitted)... I couldn't really argue at that. All in all I paid less than the cost of new front suspension on the Teg, and still had change for a tank of fuel.

I had never really considered a daily hack, mainly thought it was going to be too expensive to run two cars, but its no different. You can only drive one at a time anyway. But after nearly 6 years of daily driving the Teg, it was so nice to do the xmas shop for example in something that could be parked anywhere, scraped or what ever and I wouldn't care. After doing that I don't think I could daily the Teg again,...makes me appreciate it more too. :)

Cleaning it regularly will be fine through the winter keeping it looked after, but for piece of mind in the panic season where driving seems to attract idiots in car parks and other incidents along the way, a crappy car will always be the way forward.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Me too. You also get the added benefit of the Teg feeling epic every time you get in it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

ep3kamal

Advanced Member
Washed mine today and I'm gonna leave it stored away till a dry day comes along ..... good thing iv e got a eg saloon which is proving to be a excellent daily :D

Cennix1

Speak of the devil.. some old biddy who shouldn't be on the road decided to not defrost properly and couldn't see. Proceeded to scrape my bumper.

3 times I've been hit while parked (only once in the Teg), and all 3 times I've got their insurance details (not sure if lucky or unlucky!), but every time I seem to come out better off!

Now I've got a bumper looking factory fresh with no stone chips :D Highly recommend Fisher's accident repair on Pullman Road if anyone needs bodywork around the Leicester area, it looks immaculate.

On the flip side I'm really on the lookout for a daily now before my luck runs out and some plank hits a door or something when I'm not around..