Water between door?

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Hi everyone,

I'm just back inside from fitting two new weather strips. Before I was finished I did a quick water test. I thought if I throw some water over the door etc, let it dry and then quickly pull off the strips and check theres not water getting between the door.

Well when I had a look a little water seemed to be dripping down the inside of the door. Now I dont know if this is normal or not. So my question is should there be water there or not? Is it made to be water tight or is it meant to have a little water creep in?

I tried to take a photo but it really wasn't easy to get the camera to take a photo in such a small gap.

I've taken 3 photos. One with the weather strip off so you know where I'm talking about. Another to show the little water getting in and finally one to explain the photo - (red is the door and blue is sort a beam that I thought seems to flow any access water down towards the front sill? The window gets in the way to see properly.)

I'm just looking for some reassurance that's it's normal. The last thing I want is to leave it and for it to slowly rust over the years.

Jordan

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

daniel-cmyk

Im not 100% sure but:

1) I‘m sure I‘ve seen a hole or two at the bottom of the door for water to pass through (unless I‘m imagining it)

2) When we drop the window on a frosty day with water on it, the window goes straight in without the rubbers rubbing the water off. I‘m sure that‘s with practically every other Teg.

I might be wrong but I think it‘s normal to a degree 🤷🏽‍♂️

The pictures are too close for me to work out exactly what it is.

ste01

Advanced Member
ddc5 said:
Im not 100% sure but:

1) I‘m sure I‘ve seen a hole or two at the bottom of the door for water to pass through (unless I‘m imagining it)

2) When we drop the window on a frosty day with water on it, the window goes straight in without the rubbers rubbing the water off. I‘m sure that‘s with practically every other Teg.

I might be wrong but I think it‘s normal to a degree 🤷🏽‍♂️

The pictures are too close for me to work out exactly what it is.
2. Is because practically every teg has shit weather strips because people won't spend money to replace them

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
2. Is because practically every teg has excrement weather strips because people won't spend money to replace them
75 quid a pop is very expensive for a piece of plastic!

So I take it some moisture and water is going to get in between the door then? I was just paranoid no water should get in at all. After posting this I was searching the net and it seems water will inevitably get in so its designed to filter that water down and out through the sills. When they get blocked it causes problems though because the water gets trapped and builds up.

Jordan

Crackfox

Advanced Member
JordanSuth said:
75 quid a pop is very expensive for a piece of plastic!

So I take it some moisture and water is going to get in between the door then? I was just paranoid no water should get in at all. After posting this I was searching the net and it seems water will inevitably get in so its designed to filter that water down and out through the sills. When they get blocked it causes problems though because the water gets trapped and builds up.

Jordan

Water will get in, that's why I've coated mine inside with S50. Taking the seals off once in a while and cleaning the felt makes a difference I think.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Water will get in, that's why I've coated mine inside with S50. Taking the seals off once in a while and cleaning the felt makes a difference I think.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it took me a while to clean all the grime on the body work under the strips when I took them off.

I noticed the felts could do with a clean on mine too. Does your window clean off any excess water when you put it up and down?

Jordan

Crackfox

Advanced Member
JordanSuth said:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah it took me a while to clean all the grime on the body work under the strips when I took them off.

I noticed the felts could do with a clean on mine too. Does your window clean off any excess water when you put it up and down?

Jordan

Mine are coated in G5 so o dont yet alot of water left on them to be honest. Probably all run off into my door :)