Water leak

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I thought I would quickly pick your brains before my car goes into the garage to get some work done on Monday.

I have been having some water leak issues on my roof lining and passenger foot well. I pulled off the roof moulding and found cracks on the seam sealant. I got the car into a dry garage and spent an evening resealing it back up.

I then did a water test but found water was still getting in but only a much smaller amount than previously.

Now I couldn't afford to take out all my interior to check it all properly but I believe the final water leak is coming from behind the windscreen. Someone on YouTube did a very good video showing how the seam sealant goes down and behind the windscreen. Is there anywhere else to consider before getting the windscreen taken out?

I believe the damp passenger foot well was from the water dripping down the pillar but just incase it's not is there anywhere else to consider? Weather strips? Definitely not door seals anyway.

Just want to do it right!

Photo 1 - original leak after major down pour of water over a few days. Water is still sitting right beside the pillar but only a very small amount when it rains heavy. (At the moment zero damp there)

Photo 2 - Seam sealant cracks before I filled them in with tiger seal

Photo 3 - Video on youtube showing windcreen out and where seam sealant can continue to crack behind the windscreen

Jordan

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
The other place to look at would be the bottom of the windscreen behind the wing. It come through right up in the corner behind the dash and runs down under the carpet. I'd take that video with a pinch of salt, the repair work wasnt great if I recall.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
The other place to look at would be the bottom of the windscreen behind the wing. It come through right up in the corner behind the dash and runs down under the carpet. I'd take that video with a pinch of salt, the repair work wasnt great if I recall.

Thanks. In terms of the roof lining would you say the seam sealant behind the windscreen is the only place it could come in?

Because it's the roof lining it means it can't be coming for anywhere below so it must be there.

Behind the wing? Is that if you lift the bonnet up and right in corner under where the arch meets the bonnet?

Jordan

Crackfox

Advanced Member
JordanSuth said:
Thanks. In terms of the roof lining would you say the seam sealant behind the windscreen is the only place it could come in?

Because it's the roof lining it means it can't be coming for anywhere below so it must be there.

Behind the wing? Is that if you lift the bonnet up and right in corner under where the arch meets the bonnet?

Jordan

For the roof lining it could be coming in anywhere along the roof gutter, so check the rear too. Once it's in the chasis it will go wherever it like. Also worth pulling off the boot rubber, and looking under the roof lining at the back. Mines gone under there.

Yes that's the spot but you have to get the wing off to get at it.

Point being, if yours, like mine, is one where the seam sealer has cracked in some areas, its likely there may be more. I'd check both sides front and rear to be safe.

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
For the roof lining it could be coming in anywhere along the roof gutter, so check the rear too. Once it's in the chasis it will go wherever it like. Also worth pulling off the boot rubber, and looking under the roof lining at the back. Mines gone under there.

Yes that's the spot but you have to get the wing off to get at it.

Point being, if yours, like mine, is one where the seam sealer has cracked in some areas, its likely there may be more. I'd check both sides front and rear to be safe.

Thanks I've done the whole roof gutter all the way into the boot. It's more where it goes under the windscreen that I physically couldn't get to without taking the windscreen off. I thought it get away with sealing all the way up to that point but not so lucky!

That's what I thought. Once it's in from the top it can quite easily filter it's way down anywhere.

Thankfully I've got all this early. Just wanted to make sure there was nowhere else to check.

Jordan

Crackfox

Advanced Member
JordanSuth said:
Thanks I've done the whole roof gutter all the way into the boot. It's more where it goes under the windscreen that I physically couldn't get to without taking the windscreen off. I thought it get away with sealing all the way up to that point but not so lucky!

That's what I thought. Once it's in from the top it can quite easily filter it's way down anywhere.

Thankfully I've got all this early. Just wanted to make sure there was nowhere else to check.

Jordan

Short of taking out the screen the only other thing you can do is inject some sealant into the gap. Dynax S50 is a good bet. It seeps well so will follow the waters natural channel. Once its hardened go again, hopefully you can build up a layer over the seam sealer to block it up.

Not the best method granted but should help until you can get it in a body shop. S60 also has the benefit of slowing down rust. If you get s couple of cans it's worth getting some into the chassis in the roof. You can use existing holes for panel fitment. Dont go mad though, you dont want that on your roof lining.

While you've got some you can go around all the chasis for protection.

Pull sill protectors and peel back carpet for sills.
Behind rear speakers for front of rear arches.
Behind boot plastic lining for rear of rear arches.
Pop of pillar covers and do inside pillars
Under scuttle panel
If you pop the wings off to treat the bottom of the windscreen you can do inside sub frame while your there.

Probably a load of other places I cant think of right now.

Just put something under the car or dont care about your drive as it will make its way out the bottom.

This is inside my arch behind speaker with s50 in. And my drive when I'd finished.