Wavetrac LSD vs Snow

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
In the spirit of the "Anything vs Snow" threads at the moment i thought i'd join in!

Just a note for others that are interested, i had a Wavetrac LSD fitted to my car at the end of the summer as my OEM diff managed to destroy itself :(

It's always felt alot better than OEM in general driving but its really proving its worth now in the snow, earlier in the year my teg was left completely baffled by the slightest slope or incline while old dears in their micra's sailed on by looking smug, not so this time.

As its a hybrid type LSD with both clutch and gears in it, it should maintain drive to both wheels even if one completely loses traction. And i can report it does this very well, coming out of my drive this morning onto a slight incline both wheels started to slip slightly but as they both did it at the same speed it ended up pulling me up the hill in a nice straight line without any drama.

Only time will tell if it can keep me moving all through winter but fingers crossed.

Just wish i'd have had the foresight to have bought some bloody winter tyres a couple of months ago when they were nice and cheap and most importantly in stock :(

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
omadc5 said:
Sounds a good bit of kit. How much was it?
Fixed for you ;)
haha, it wasn't cheap :( 749 for the diff then fitting on top of that!

I couldn't source an OEM LSD at the time and these came highly rated over the others from what i could see so i thought sod it and went for it, glad i did now!

eXceed

Resident Driver
Will defo be getting one of these, I can hear the OEM diff going mental on mine and it just seems to clunk on. I always veer towards a different direction as well, I wonder if there's something wrong with my diff :O

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
Will defo be getting one of these, I can hear the OEM diff going mental on mine and it just seems to clunk on. I always veer towards a different direction as well, I wonder if there's something wrong with my diff :O
yeah mine was doing that :( was getting alot of lash or somthing the guy at TDI north said. When they took my gearbox apart the bearings in it had pretty much destroyed themselves. so best to get it sorted before any damage is done to the rest of the gearbox with bits of LSD floating around in there :lol: