What is this?

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Can anyone tell me what this thing is under the dash? I'm trying to get as close to 100% MLV coverage as possible, and was thinking about going over the top of it. I'm just not sure if its something that get warm or not. Looks like a chunky metal case that could be for heat dissipation. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Granty1056 said:
Hi.

I've had a scout round some pics. It looks like the SRS unit.

Regards.
Ah ok thanks. Seems a bit mad to make it that chunky. I doubt theres any ventilation required for that.

Vteccin_teg

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
A picture may help....

I'd say it is definitely some sort of electronic module. Looking at the size of the wires its receiving/sending some sort of data somewhere I.e. low voltage/current so very well could be the SRS unit. Id definitly avoid covering it though. (Its got a hazard symbol on it for a start haha)
I would do the following:
disconnect battery
Leave car for 30 min
Remove it and fix it to some sort of plate on raisers.
Put the MLV down (what is MLV? Lol)
Screw it back down so its slightly raised off the MLV and doesn't get hot.

Check the wire colors, try get to plug on back of airbag and see if its the same color?

Just a thought?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Vteccin_teg said:
I'd say it is definitely some sort of electronic module. Looking at the size of the wires its receiving/sending some sort of data somewhere I.e. low voltage/current so very well could be the SRS unit. Id definitly avoid covering it though. (Its got a hazard symbol on it for a start haha)
I would do the following:
disconnect battery
Leave car for 30 min
Remove it and fix it to some sort of plate on raisers.
Put the MLV down (what is MLV? Lol)
Screw it back down so its slightly raised off the MLV and doesn't get hot.

Check the wire colors, try get to plug on back of airbag and see if its the same color?

Just a thought?

Bot a bad shout. Shouldn't need risers as the MLV is fairly solid so it should clamp down onto it pretty solid. I'll have a crack at it tonight.

MLV=Mass Loaded Vinyl

Vteccin_teg

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Bot a bad shout. Shouldn't need risers as the MLV is fairly solid so it should clamp down onto it pretty solid. I'll have a crack at it tonight.

MLV=Mass Loaded Vinyl

Whats it for, sound deadening?
What your reason for adding it?
Sick of hearing road noise lol.
I'm sick of the drone from my 75a engine mounts. I swear my ears bleed sometimes lol

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Vteccin_teg said:
Whats it for, sound deadening?
What your reason for adding it?
Sick of hearing road noise lol.
I'm sick of the drone from my 75a engine mounts. I swear my ears bleed sometimes lol

Not sound deadening, that would be CLD. It's to reduce low frequency noise. CLD is to reduce panel vibration. Dont considering doing it unless you are deadly serious though. It's a long and tedious job to get done right, making patterns for each peice. And I still dont k ow if I'll get the carpet and panels back in afterwards.

Took out this unit lastnight so your suggestion was a good one. Came out easy enough, 3 torx screws holding it down.

Vteccin_teg

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Not sound deadening, that would be CLD. It's to reduce low frequency noise. CLD is to reduce panel vibration. Dont considering doing it unless you are deadly serious though. It's a long and tedious job to get done right, making patterns for each peice. And I still dont k ow if I'll get the carpet and panels back in afterwards.

Took out this unit lastnight so your suggestion was a good one. Came out easy enough, 3 torx screws holding it down.

Sounds like a headache mate.
I've got a right angle dewalt impact bit holder I use for work for getting into tight spaces. A link below. This had got be outta trouble sooooo many times. It may be of use to someone else aswell.
Literally just put it in end of drill or impact driver. I put an additional bit holder and bit in it, can use it how you want though really

DeWalt DEWDT71517T Right Angle Torsion Drill Attachment, Yellow https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ORMG6AA/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_V1pVEbM5HPWTV

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Vteccin_teg said:
Sounds like a headache mate.
I've got a right angle dewalt impact bit holder I use for work for getting into tight spaces. A link below. This had got be outta trouble sooooo many times. It may be of use to someone else aswell.
Literally just put it in end of drill or impact driver. I put an additional bit holder and bit in it, can use it how you want though really

DeWalt DEWDT71517T Right Angle Torsion Drill Attachment, Yellow https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ORMG6AA/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_V1pVEbM5HPWTV

I just a ratchet.