what octane petrol???

Caroline

Just wondering what RON petrol you all run your DC5's on. I saw on the spec page that it is supposed to be 100RON. I havn't got my car yet but when I do I'm not sure what to do. Petrol in Ireland is 95RON, 97 is few and far between and costs up to 35c a litre more. I have been looking into buying millers octane plus but I would need 2 bottles per tank. Each bottle incresaes 50 Liters by 2RON.

Any suggestions.

Jevo

You must run at least super unleaded of 97 RON.. do you not get Shell Optimax running at 98 RON...

People in UK put in Optimax AND still add octane booster (you know who you are !!! :wink: )

Jevo

Caroline

No we dont get 98 over here at all.
It will cost me a fortune to use super so I think I will just have to put 2 bottles of octane boost into 95 octane

Caroline

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
HI Caroline

We are quite lucky in the UK being able to get 98 Ron, in Jaan the car runs on 100 Ron, but the ECU makes adjustments :lol:

Be a little cautious when using Octane Boost :shock: , they contain lead which is harmful to the CAT, if your planning on keeping it :wink:

Some friendly advice, while I'm on :wink: If your new to Honda Vtec, then make sure you check the oil, as some engines have gone pop when people have not checked frequently :wink:, as a Vtec engine does use oil :!: :!:

Hope this helps :lol:

Mike

Caroline

I didn't think the octane plus contained lead. I know that I ordered another one called "millers competition Valve lube" and that contained oil so I used it in my de-cated civic and it worked a treat.

I have to find an option other than super unleaded because the difference in price is terrible.

To fill the car with unleaded will cost ~€58
To add 2 bottles of octane boose will be an extra ~€7 (should increase to 98/99 RON)
To fill the car with super will cost ~€81 (and that will only be 97RON)

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Hi

My point was that Octane boost will upset the CAT on the car unless you de-cat, but on more modern Honda's that causes another problem with the engine check light, we are tring to resolve this issue currently as well :wink:

I know you have an issue with price, but do y want to have further trouble down the line :?: Just a thought and my opinion

Mike

-mdma-

Hi

The DC5 is tuned to run on 100RON that is true. As I have tested, using the octane booster will destroy your spark plugs really fast. You'll be changing plugs like changing clothes.. hehe... and it will cause misfires too.. There is one thing, which I believe is a pack of lead, can be put in the petrol tank and it will always run on 100RON. Dunno is it available in the UK or not??? What engine oil are you guys using??

-mdma-

Caroline

Can you explain what that "pack of lead" is. Will it not destroy the CAT? I have to find something because super is just impossible to find where I live. I think the nearest station that has it is about 100KM away!!!

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
I would really try and run it on 97ron, using Octane booster will become very tiresome.

What do the Jap spec Scoobs use over your side of the pond?

Caroline

One of my really good mates has a STI and he runs it on normal 95 with one bottel of octane boost but his is de-catted

Erm

Advanced Member
:shock: dont use shell optimax...... thats just 95 ron fuel with additives to make it 98 as opposed to super unleaded which is 97 ron from distillation......

shell optimax is bad bad stuff!!!

CharlesW

I have been using Optimax in my JDM Impreza WRX without any ill effect.
As far as the scooby goes it seems to be the best fuel. Nearly all the scooby owners in the UK use it. Some do add octane boost as well.

Problems seem to arise when people start modding and increasing boost without paying enough attention to fueling on the ecu map.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Just to Up date this thread.

As you know, I now have the Hondata ECU flash running, and today for the first time I had an empty tank, so filled up with normal 95 ron fuel, the Hondata ECU works on this, and I have had no ill effects (pinking etc) :lol:

So hopefully, from now on my fuel bill will come down, well maybe not, as the ECU flash is just so good, can't help myself :wink:

Mike

Mr_GaBIG

MJ Type-R - I would like to say you are wrong, you can use the Millers Octane Plus without having any adverse effects to the CAT, afterall that is why Millers produce the Octane Plus AND the CVL (for cars without a CAT)

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
I can stand to be corrected of course.

However, do you want to risk having to replace the CAT :?: Approx retail on these units is £1K :shock:

Mike

Mr_GaBIG

Octane Plus is proven under extensive tests not to damage the CAT; I was told this by one of the Millers sales director's.

dan the man

Advanced Member
optimax debate

all of my cars seemed to like optimax,( 106xsi,gti, clio cup and dc2 utr) and know a guy who has a jap wrx which wont run on anything else!! only found out after knackering the engine! he swears buy it but horses for courses again.

Talked to Power Station about fuels, they have tested performance on their Dyno, Optimax gave most power, Esso 97 also nearly as good, the new BP ultimate not so good. I tried Esso 97 and find the engine smoother and can’t feel any difference in performance . Also Optimax works fine. Don’t see the need to use octane boost and risk my CAT

Caroline

@martin, thats all good and well in the UK when you have a choice, my nearest 97 octane petrol is about 120km away so I'm a bit stuck and it costs way more, normal petrol is about 90c/L but super is about 112c.

In saying that tesco have opened a petrol station in dublin and it saves my boyfriend €15 when he fills his FTO (but in saying that it has a 70L tank!!!!!)

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Caroline,

Mike (MJ Type R) is currently testing out a Hondata ECU which seems quite happy on 95 RON.... You may want to ask him his thoughts :)