what octane petrol???

Caroline

@rich - not sure if I would go there, I would be a bit sceptical about changing the ECU, I mean honda spent a long time developing the one that is in the car and I dont think its right to be messing with the revs and stuff????? I have no experience with this but its just my gut feeling.

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Caroline,

I agree with what you are saying but from what I have seen and heard speaking to Mike it is a simple pull out the old one, stick in the new one and stick the original in the attic. Almost as simple as changing an air filter.

As far as how the mapping goes, I guess coming from a scooby background where many people are running ECUTek or Link ECUs with custom maps I am on the whole a lot more comfortable with custom mapping.

anyway - just a suggestion :)

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Caroline,

I agree with Rich. If you read up on the gumpf any after-market chip or remapping company dish out, they will all tell you (and it's obvious really) that the manufacturer's original settings are always a compromise because they must balance between those countries that use extremely high octane fuel and have similar high levels of service whether by custom or by availablity and those other countries that come in at the other end of the scales.

In the JDM they can freely buy 100 RON fuel whilst, as you have pointed out, in Ireland 95 RON is the standard. Perhaps this is another reason why the car (in its pure form) is only available to the JDM? If one considers a leeway of +/-2 RON, I don't think that would be implausible.

I have read up much on this (cos I'm considering the Hondata myself) and have not yet found ONE report that raises alarm bells - all it does is realigns the car's ECU systems to maximise what is available to your specific area regarding the above issues.

Anyway, that's MY two penn'rth :p

GHOSTITR

Cyprus now offers EKO Supreme Unleaded 100

Just out the market today priced 0.519/ltr. Will give it a try when fuel light comes up :)

gregb

Advanced Member
well it has been a while for this thread but as irish dc5 ownership is growing i would like to get an update on the ron issue we have over here.

to be honest i just use plain unleaded any my nose follows the prices,but if anyone knows a petrol station offering higher octane @kildare/dublin area i`d gladly travel/pay the difference :wink:

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
well here in Cyprus we have 100 RON but sometimes i use 98, only a few gas stations dont carry 100.

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
Less for sure, but i dont know if there is any knocking with 95 RON. In the states i had a celica with 11.5 :1 compression like the ITR and run on 91 RON octane, the highest you could get in South West.

jay.dee

Advanced Member
fenomeno26 said:
Less for sure, but i dont know if there is any knocking with 95 RON. In the states i had a celica with 11.5 :1 compression like the ITR and run on 91 RON octane, the highest you could get in South West.
In the US, a 91 fuel rating is more or less the equivalent of 95 RON in the UK.

gregb

Advanced Member
what about shell v-power?

A new premium fuel, Shell V-Power, with an octane level of 98 has been launched. Based on performance test results, Shell V-Power is in a different league from any fuel that has been launched in Singapore. It is formulated to give the best power, responsiveness, acceleration performance and cleanliness compared to other Singapore fuels according to research conducted at Shell's research facility in United Kingdom. It is processed in Shell's largest refinery in the world (in terms of crude distillation capacity), Pulau Bukom Refinery Complex. The fuel is now available in Shell's petrol stations around various locations in Singapore.

Priced at $1.293 per litre (as at January 4, 2001), Shell V-Power is the result of research and development efforts in the United Kingdom. Shell's five year partnership with Ferrari and its fuel expertise for Formula One racing enables the components in the base fuel to be combined with a first rate additive to derive a high performance road fuel.

In the spirit of constant innovation, Shell's vision is to be 'Caring Innovators' and the philosophy to constantly improve their existing product offerings. As such, Formula Shell XO has been phased out and replaced by Shell V-Power in Singapore.

it seems to have gone down well in singapore.
i`m sure there is one of them locally :lol:

macer

Advanced Member
Just remember Greg that V-power is still only 95RON in Ireland. I know of a few people that thought they where getting 98RON when filling up.

macer

Advanced Member
On 95RON I had it on the rollers and got 210 and Martin said the car was knocking like F**k :oops:

gregb

Advanced Member
i don`t understand it why would it be branded as v-power and only have cleaning benefits and no octane variation then for €1.08?

Slynx

Well, I've only ever used 95 and never had any knock problems or uneven running.
All modern cars have knock sensors and the ECU sorts out the fueling anyway.

macer

Advanced Member
Well as I understand it the car also suffers from pre-ignition or pinking

It’s when the fuel and air charge ignite before the spark plug. You wont get uneven running or even hear the car knock, it was only when a tuner had it on the rollers did I find out, I have had two tuners tell me that the car was suffering quite bad from the 95RON. Both recommended that I get the car re-tuned to run on 95RON, and I know it wasn’t a sales pitch form one of the tuners cus he doesn’t tune the K20 yet

Slynx

So why bother having knock sensors then?
Not only that, there appear to be a lot of myths about all sorts of things these days.
I think you'll find that's because there are so few knowledgeble people about these days, what with proper training, apprenticeships etc., all fallen by the wayside in favour of this NVQ rubbish.
Until someone can prove that I'm damaging my engine using 95 ron, I'll continue using it. (I'm not talking either about the slight drop in power using 95)
Rant over.

macer

Advanced Member
I can’t agree nor disagree with you there, as I would be the first to admit I don’t have the understanding to give a knowledgeable option Im only going on what I have been told by people in the industry. But it is something worth a bit of research. It’s more than I slight drop in power on 95RON, my car has lost over 10BHP so for that reason alone I think its worth a re-tune.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
i got my engine timing done to suit 95RON and she's running sweet ever since. i'm running great power on 95RON. would recommend getting it done to anyone who hasn't yet considered it. save u a fortune in the long run splashing out for higher octane petrol and octane boosters etc.