Wheel weight database.

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
i tried on sum OZ superleggeras other day which had a ET45 offset, which
is about the highest offset can find :(

they stuck out by alteast 20mm :(

Didnt buy them, wish they fitted as felt alot lighter.

Rob

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Rob,

That's dissapointing to hear. I was hoping a 45 offset would be ok. Was it the appearance that put you off or was it the way it felt driving? I presume they were 17's? I didn't really notice Andre's OZ's sticking out too much when I last saw his car but I didn't look that close.

Cheers,

Jon

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
yeh agreed went oulten park with andre and i thought the OZ looked fine :? .

These were 18s still worked out lighter than originals, came of an Evo. think they have been 8'' wide but shudnt effect offset should it? had 225 tyres.

PCD was 114.3 and ET45 which is highest think can find in uk.

Anyways thought would be fine so drove 1hr and half to meet guy selling them and glad i tryed one on.

Didnt have a drive but was the look that put me off, only tryed front wheel on but did stick out fair way.

Looks like stickin with standards.

Not sure maybe 17s will be ok which are not so wide, andres look ok.

Rob

jonster

Advanced Member
I'm not surprised with 8" wide wheels.

I'm thinking of getting 15's or 16's just for the track. Less metal means much less weight. I didn't realise untill yesterday that 15" OZ Superlegs are under 5Kg's. This will save approx 15Kgs over the stock wheels which should give monster acceleration, better braking and better cornering. They won't look so cool but I'm not bothered since I just want them for the track. It seems that half slicks go up in price quite drastically when you go larger than 15's too.

Jon

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
yes chap ddint say they were 8'' wide till got down there :(

Im sure if you go for 15s or 16s u'll never notice.

Rob

Mr_GaBIG

The information on the website ( [url=http://www.mysportscar.com/features/wheelweight.htm">http://www.mysportscar.com/features/wheelweight.htm ) has been leached from here

jonster

Advanced Member
Cool - That's an even bigger db of information. Thanks

Matt - What will happen if I don't do anythin about my dampers? I'm not that clued-up on suspension yet. Is the the wheel size difference the main problem or the weight difference?

Cheers,

Jon

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
jonster said:
Cool - That's an even bigger db of information. Thanks

Matt - What will happen if I don't do anythin about my dampers? I'm not that clued-up on suspension yet. Is the the wheel size difference the main problem or the weight difference?

Cheers,

Jon
The slicks is the main issue Jon, the weight will be a big advantage as you mentioned the size will greatly help the gearing.

The extra forces that slicks will generate will put way to much force on the standard dampers, will possibly hit the bump stops, remember the std dampers arent designed to take the forces that slicks make.

In a nutshell the tyres will be stuck fast to the track, the bodyshell will roll more and will put greater flex on the chassis, rather than the damper doing what it does best, which is not good.

jonster

Advanced Member
Thanks for the info. Matt. I guess I will have to try and take it easy if I find myself hitting the bump stops. I hope the Spoon progressives will protect against this to some extent. Maybe they make the situation worse buy leaving less travel for the shocks. Haven't had any probs so far. I really don't know what increased grip level to expect from half slicks. I don't want to stress the chassis / suspension too much. I think the car is very rigid even before the Mugen strut bars you sold me so I hope it will not twist.

Cheers,

Jon

ps2london

Advanced Member
i put my CTR 17 O.Z. SL on my DC5 today ready for tomorrow trackday.

orginal DC5 wheel is more heavier then the OZ.

feel car go faster and brake easier staight away.

Jon, I fitted Tein HA yesterday, compare with the lower spring, handling and comford far far more better now, u can ask Andre too, he fitted Tein Flex on his car.

Franz