Which exhaust setup

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Ok so dilemma time, I nee to cut the noise on my DC5 a bit for my local track and evening sessions.

Current setup
Dc Sports full race system (about 2yrs old) manifold and decat in one with full cat back system (4†tip)

Readings at Brands
104db at 4K revs, 98.8db at 6K revs and 102db at 6.3K revs. So under load I was well on the limit

Looking at:
Fujitsubo RM01A (RHD Japan state as below):
Tip Diameter: 89.0mm
Pipe Diameter: 60.5mm

Fujitsubo:
- Idling Sound: 70
- Noise Near exhaust (6000rpm): 93
- 3000rpm: 83
- 5000rpm: 89
- Response 3000rpm~5000rpm: 101

Or

Kakimoto Regu.06&R (RHD Japan state as below):
- Main Pipe Diameter: 60mm
- Canister Tip Diameter: 90mm
- Canister Diameter: 130mm
- Noise Levels (Near the Exhaust): 93dB

I‘ve looked at a solid fab setup also and will call Alan later but my goals are:

No or little drone for normal motorway driving, perfect fitment to car and DC sport mani whilst being quiet yet noticeable and track friendly.

Anyone got experience of these on track who can share their knowledge and db readings as trying to void a bung t ok costs and want a nice free flowing and non restrictive setup.

Thanks

Carl

Last edited:

Mebz

Advanced Member
I've got the solid fab exhaust and manifold.

It read 89db at Oulton Park (static 6k revs).

If you don't want drone, I would avoid. When your cruising it's fine but it drones when for example you are at 70mph going up a hill and touch the accelerator to keep your speed.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks mate, is the drone only occasional and at certain rev ranges ? I can cope if it‘s jot regular or all the time s 89 at 6k is a lot quieter than mine now. Any sound clips I can see ? Thanks

Ps that drone sounds similar to the dc I have

Mebz said:
I've got the solid fab exhaust and manifold.

It read 89db at Oulton Park (static 6k revs).

If you don't want drone, I would avoid. When your cruising it's fine but it drones when for example you are at 70mph going up a hill and touch the accelerator to keep your speed.

Steve95

What about a mugen twin loop? I have one and its quiet, even with a spoon manifold, but i don't see many people on here mention them/recommend them?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Steve95 said:
What about a mugen twin loop? I have one and its quiet, even with a spoon manifold, but i don't see many people on here mention them/recommend them?
It's because they're known to be a very restrictive exhaust much like the Kakimoto Regu.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
It's because they're known to be a very restrictive exhaust much like the Kakimoto Regu.
Is the kaki restrictive? If so maybe rm01a is the way to go ?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mine is getting remapped next week so I'll let you know what the results are but I'm expecting the Kakimoto to impact the figures somewhat.

Mebz

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Thanks mate, is the drone only occasional and at certain rev ranges ? I can cope if it‘s jot regular or all the time s 89 at 6k is a lot quieter than mine now. Any sound clips I can see ? Thanks

Ps that drone sounds similar to the dc I have
The drone is at low to mid revs at high load if that makes sense. You could argue it's because of my lazy driving.

Driving at 70mph, 3.5k revs, I want to overtake a truck, I'll just put my foot down... it will drone.

If I drop down a gear or two, I won't have to put my foot down as much so it doesn't drone as much.

It also drones a little when cruising off throttle, for example, on the motorway going downhill you are doing 80mph, get off the throttle to get back to 70mph, it will drone a little.

Based on that I don't think it's a particular rev range.

Hope that makes sense.

I wouldn't change mine for anything, when pushing on it sounds great. Only issue I have is that in the cabin I can't really hear the arc intake and I'm normally an induction fanboy.

I was quite surprised by the 89db as well but on idle it is very quiet (when up to temp).

Also to note is that when grinspeed fitted mine, he said it went together really well. I did ask Alan to make my tip a bit longer than normal.

Unfortunately I've got no video clips from the inside. There is one from the outside on my instagram page (mirby_1).

If your around greater Manchester, feel free to give me a shout and you can have a look around and a passenger ride.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Currently swaying towards kaki as it‘s quieter mate
Kaki has been known to be a bit restrictive to be honest mate. The Fuji is plenty quiet enough and is proven not to restrict mapped cars

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Kaki has been known to be a bit restrictive to be honest mate. The Fuji is plenty quiet enough and is proven not to restrict mapped cars

Mmm this is tougher than I thought, call to tgm it is lol. Solid fabs also a good choice but the other two I don‘t think I‘ll need a remap. Am I right I saying Fuji is 2.5”?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I‘ve gone for the solid fabrications manifold with sports cat and decat paired up with an RM01A cat back. Just a great mix, gives you a nice bit of Noise if you want it but if not 10mins and I can pop the cat on which is well mellow.

Cost wise it still cost £1490 new fitted by myself so a good chunk. Best value for money, performance and noise has been a good used condition dcsports mani and Toda system. From memory they were £800 but was always a super all rounder

p1tse

Advanced Member
Personal preference

But with a stock mani and a Fuji I found the exhaust note dull without character; also had a hint of drone because of the dull note. When I say without character I didn‘t really hear it sing at high revs.

Although the dB sound is better than oem, the throttle response noticeably better, I prefer my decat mani with mugen twin loop ;)

p1tse

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I think from my reading and digesting of info from online reading kaki is more restricting, but sounds great.

Twin loop like the airbox is overlooked as many think it‘s similar to oem, but the design of the airbox is completely different.

Beppe had good gains with mugen twin loop and intake, posted a picture but photobucket has now restricted to view :(

JDM-DC5

Advanced Member
Buy a Kakimoto Regu06&R.... Loved the noise of it with the buddyclub manifold. I regret selling mine but had no use when i went boosted with a solid fabs 3 inch..

p1tse

Advanced Member
From what I‘ve read I think the kaki makes a great note, if going new I would go this route if you don‘t mind the more aftermarket looks from the tailpipe design

Risk of used is that there are several threads about baffles going on kaki systems

Indi

Advanced Member
Previously had a Kaki regu 06&r, Lovely note and no drown at all even with a Tegiwa manifold/decat. The downsides are that it's very restrictive and as above the baffles go very easily. My baffles started coming out after a year of ownership with a few trackdays thrown in and obviously then it started getting rattles at certain RPM.

I love my Solid fab system. As above can drown on the motorway when going up hill and having to apply more throttle but it's not too bad. Sounds perfect on WOT and passed Donington's strict noise limit so win win.