Which exhaust setup

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
With the Kakimoto, are you able to get the baffles re-packed or have new baffles re-inserted?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks to everyone for the replies and comments, as I am not sure what the future holds for the car I am swaying towards the Solid Fabs (as if I was to keep it and charge or boost it I would already have an exhaust up for the job) whereas if I was to buy the others I would have to replace again (advise by TGM). The Kaki sounds the best by far but a bit put off but the potential issues and don't want it falling apart in a few years. Rm01A is lovely and a solid second but if I was to really tune the 5 ever I would potentially have to replace it, so going to chat with Alan about a system as he is also local so could supply and fit to make sure its 100% perfect for my car and setup.

Thanks again all I will keep you posted on the upgrades on the build thread, this is so against my normal keeping everything JDM branded but the drone mentioned I don't think will be any worse than the current setup as it seems it's at the same times, just quieter on track which is my goal (else I would keep the car as is on the DC Sport setup as it looks, fits and sounds lovely)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Well I forgot to update this until today and so can advise I went for the best all-round setup and bought the rm01a from Torque GT.

This is an amazing system, is 100% track friendly, no drone, knocks, bangs or fitment issues, it looks and sounds perfect at all ranges and mated to the DC Sport racing mani and a K100 with AEM Long arm CAI it sounds epic.

I am 100% certain I made the right choice and the RR numbers it got me when remapped speaks for itself (214.1WHP which is 249.4bhp at the flywheel) and that's without an RBC and 70mm throttle body. Romain did the map and said the numbers are superb and the engine etc is strong and the system is a very very good one.

nails

Advanced Member
Hey Carl, while your exhaust is obviously great for your needs, and admittedly makes good power, I wouldn't want to mislead people into just getting it as the go to exhaust because everyone has different taste. I personally find that it is far too quiet for me, I have heard them in person and they are just simply not loud enough.

If your requirement is not for noise but for gains and track use, I agree, it is probably the best exhaust :)

If it were me I would go Spoon or Skunk2.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Actually mate when you cane it the RM01A sounds great. I didn't like it at first but I love it now and it sounds better too. We're all different at the end of the day.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hey Carl, while your exhaust is obviously great for your needs, and admittedly makes good power, I wouldn't want to mislead people into just getting it as the go to exhaust because everyone has different taste. I personally find that it is far too quiet for me, I have heard them in person and they are just simply not loud enough.

If your requirement is not for noise but for gains and track use, I agree, it is probably the best exhaust :)

If it were me I would go Spoon or Skunk2.
This is why I said mated to a DC Sport Racing Mani and mapped to the K100 with an AEM CAI as trust me it's not quiet on full chat by any means, once it's in vtec you can really hear it (not much less than my old full DC Sport system) just without the drone.

Have in car and outside video's of it all from track last week I can share if the OP wants to hear etc

But honestly it's perfect and sounds similar to the tone of a DC2 switching over

As you say however is the OP is noise chasing then Spoon N1 is the way with some ear defenders lol (deff not Skunk2 as poor quality and American cheapness) :-(

If the baffles lasted longer I would recommend the DC Sport system but the baffles just go too quickly :-(

nails

Advanced Member
As you both say, it is personal taste, when it is on it's own and not mated to a manifold/decat etc. I don't think it sounds great, but that is just my opinion. I can't comment on what it sounds like in vtec with those mods you have Carl, but if it is passing track noise levels then it would probably be too quiet for me :xgrin:

On another note, avoid JS racing in my opinion as the baffles went on my system which was about a year old.

I have only had good experiences with Skunk2, except that the fitment on the DC5 is not perfect so you will want someone who knows what they are doing to fit it.

ste01

Advanced Member
Agree with Nails about skunk2. They aren't bad, I know tons of people with there stuff. And as for American cheapness....aren't both the AEM intake and Hondata american? Haha

carl hammond

Advanced Member
nails said:
As you both say, it is personal taste, when it is on it's own and not mated to a manifold/decat etc. I don't think it sounds great, but that is just my opinion. I can't comment on what it sounds like in vtec with those mods you have Carl, but if it is passing track noise levels then it would probably be too quiet for me :xgrin:

On another note, avoid JS racing in my opinion as the baffles went on my system which was about a year old.

I have only had good experiences with Skunk2, except that the fitment on the DC5 is not perfect so you will want someone who knows what they are doing to fit it.
I think I could appreciate what you're saying (with regards to it being when not with complimentary changes to the car) as it's not much louder than OEM on tickover etc, yeah for track days etc it's ideal (pretty much a few DB's under the limits on my car with no way of going higher and over), but if I wanted loud on the road then Buddy Club Spec 3 or Spoon N1. Buddyclub again not the best make in the world by far but it's a straight through scaffolding pipe so loud as hell...

ste01 said:
Agree with Nails about skunk2. They aren't bad, I know tons of people with there stuff. And as for American cheapness....aren't both the AEM intake and Hondata american? Haha
AEM is yeah but it was on the car when I bought it so can stay lol, not sure about Hondata though that's a good one, but Skunk2 is widely also known as Skank2 for a reason :)

I also believe DC is an Amaerican make and the baffles went quickly which was pants, if the mani ever fails I will be buying Spoon or Toda headers direct from japan (as the mani was on the car when I got it also)

nails

Advanced Member
I have had 3 Skunk2 exhausts on 3 different Honda's, and never had a problem. On top of that, they sound amazing. I can't speak for their other products as I have not had them.

Grano

I had the Skunk2 3" mated with a Skunk2 Alpha header for five years. Header fitted perfectly out of the box, had to adjust the hangers to get the exhaust to fit. Loved the sound but just too much midrange drone for me, maybe I'm just showing my age. Swapped it for an Invidia Q300, but after five years it still polished up like new, and I still miss that scream at redline.

yn08_teg

Rather than start a whole new thread, I thought it better to resurrect this one...

So, my current exhaust system has a few issues. I have a Kakimoto 06&r Regu catback system, OEM manifold and cat. This was already on the car 3 years ago when I imported it, so I've got no idea how long it has been on the car.

As per previous posts on here... the baffles have collapsed on the silencer in the mid pipe and there was also a crack in the same area that I had welded up. Essentially I'll need to do something and the options I'm considering are...

1) purchase a new cat back system
2) cut out the silencer in the current exhaust and replace it with a bit if straight pipe, so the only silencer will be in the back box

I do like the kaki and the looks are great, with the aftermarket tailpipe etc, but I would like it a little bit louder. I don't want anything obnoxious resulting in me getting pulled every 5 mins and wouldn't want anything that makes too much of a droan or sounds like those horrible decat civics! (Sorry if I offend anyone!!)

So I'm not sure whether to modify the existing exhaust, which Tom at TGM said was an option or just to get a whole new system. The RM01a has been touted as a great system, although maybe a little quiet for me. Please bear in mind I've never heard any other exhaust system on a DC5 so have nothing to compare it to. Another option would be solid fab and I'm told Alan is a great chap who would be able to customise things to my spec. Are there any particular avenues you would look down or any experience/recommendations based on what I'm looking for?

As always, cheers in advance! All recommendations welcome

carl hammond

Advanced Member
yn08_teg said:
Rather than start a whole new thread, I thought it better to resurrect this one...

So, my current exhaust system has a few issues. I have a Kakimoto 06&r Regu catback system, OEM manifold and cat. This was already on the car 3 years ago when I imported it, so I've got no idea how long it has been on the car.

As per previous posts on here... the baffles have collapsed on the silencer in the mid pipe and there was also a crack in the same area that I had welded up. Essentially I'll need to do something and the options I'm considering are...

1) purchase a new cat back system
2) cut out the silencer in the current exhaust and replace it with a bit if straight pipe, so the only silencer will be in the back box

I do like the kaki and the looks are great, with the aftermarket tailpipe etc, but I would like it a little bit louder. I don't want anything obnoxious resulting in me getting pulled every 5 mins and wouldn't want anything that makes too much of a droan or sounds like those horrible decat civics! (Sorry if I offend anyone!!)

So I'm not sure whether to modify the existing exhaust, which Tom at TGM said was an option or just to get a whole new system. The RM01a has been touted as a great system, although maybe a little quiet for me. Please bear in mind I've never heard any other exhaust system on a DC5 so have nothing to compare it to. Another option would be solid fab and I'm told Alan is a great chap who would be able to customise things to my spec. Are there any particular avenues you would look down or any experience/recommendations based on what I'm looking for?

As always, cheers in advance! All recommendations welcome
After investigating every system I could find for the Dc5 I opted for the RM01A.

It‘s super light under 8kg‘s, looks epic, fits perfectly, no drone at any rev range ever and is nice on tickover but got a perfect tone and noise when needed on throttle.

I spend about two months looking into exhausts and it was the best for my needs (being a TRUE TRACK FRIENDLY) system as it never needs a bung.

Kaki was second on my list due to the distinct noise and looks but that said Kaki are no longer made in the same place or to the same standards so don‘t last as long as they used too, whereas RM01A is a superb allround system for looks, Wright, power, fitment and noise.

That would be my choice, but if you want more noise then you‘d have to look at solid fab or similar risky that on track you maybe blackflagged as although it‘s track friendly it‘s over some of the db levels even at brands (and drones also at certain rev ranges)

Could consider fixing yours tbh prob a cheaper all round option

One thing I would say is consider exactly what you want and will use the car for before spending to be sure it‘s 100% compliant for your needs as the last thing you wants something loud and drones etc to then want to track it and need to change again or put a bing on which is never a good idea.

Carl

yn08_teg

At this point I'm torn between repairing the kaki and just deleting the mid silencer or getting the rm01a.

Sorry, I should have stated that I don't track the car and don't intend to so that's not an issue. However I don't want to go down the route of having to change exhaust components every time I take it for an MOT if it is too loud....

carl hammond

Advanced Member
yn08_teg said:
At this point I'm torn between repairing the kaki and just deleting the mid silencer or getting the rm01a.

Sorry, I should have stated that I don't track the car and don't intend to so that's not an issue. However I don't want to go down the route of having to change exhaust components every time I take it for an MOT if it is too loud....
Well Kaki is great and rm01a amazing but expensive compared to your repair I‘d say

But that said it‘s fresh and new and will last :)

If it tracking it you have loads of options but they‘d be my two and if money wasn‘t an issue I‘d personally opt for the Rm01a as it‘s new and fresh and you‘ll know how and when it‘s been used on the car etc

yn08_teg

As I say, I don't have an aftermarket mani so the only thing with the rm01a is that it may not be loud enough. Additionally with the kaki, presumably there are also baffles in the rear silencer as well and I have no idea what state those are currently in!

What are people's opinions on the spoon systems from the cat back? Would that comprise of a b pipe and N1 backbox?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
yn08_teg said:
As I say, I don't have an aftermarket mani so the only thing with the rm01a is that it may not be loud enough. Additionally with the kaki, presumably there are also baffles in the rear silencer as well and I have no idea what state those are currently in!

What are people's opinions on the spoon systems from the cat back? Would that comprise of a b pipe and N1 backbox?
Spoon is a nice system and quite loud lol. But yeah spoon Catback would be a nice system to have

yn08_teg

carl hammond said:
Spoon is a nice system and quite loud lol. But yeah spoon Catback would be a nice system to have
I'll have a look into it. Do you happen to have a photo of how the rear of the rm01a sits? Just so I can see how it compares to the kaki, which I think sits lovely

carl hammond

Advanced Member
yn08_teg said:
I'll have a look into it. Do you happen to have a photo of how the rear of the rm01a sits? Just so I can see how it compares to the kaki, which I think sits lovely
Page 1 of my build thread lists everything on my car from day one so it‘ll tell you when it was fitted and pics will be on there mate :)

Loads of pics from packed to fitting
http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/45151-carls-cw-2002-dc5-project-restoration-tgm-repaint-pages-567/page-24#entry496191

Lemons

Advanced Member
I fitted a Spoon B Pipe, centre section, to my OEM exhaust yesterday. It's about 20% louder than stock when in VTEC and very quiet when driving at lower revs. The car feels like it picks up much easier compared to the full OEM exhaust.

OEM felt near silent, this setup feels like it should have been from the factory.

I wouldn't mind trying an N1 backbox but everything I read says it's mega loud and I don't want to be that guy!