Why did you buy a DC5?????

fenix2k

Hey all

Just wandering why you guys bought a DC5 over the other jap marques?? This is one of the MANY cars i am considering to buy and am hoping to get some feedback (mainly from ppl who have owned another performance car previous to their DC5) as how it compares to others.

My one big issue is that its Front Wheel Drive!! Does this make a huge difference to the way it goes (obviously it will severly limit max tuning) as im considering all the other makes (evo/skyline/rx7/vx/elise/scooby) and they all put power to at least the rear wheels. But all that really matters is that i get a car that goes like ***** and is a dream to drive.

Any help much appreciated.

T666YPR

Mainly,trust in the Honda brand as have owned previous Honda's and individuality.It's nice that they're so rare.
The DC5 isn't about power(though it's nice getting more)or straight line speed,it's how it uses it everywhere else :D
Simon

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Fenix,

Having owned some of the cars you've mentions these are my comments :-

Skyline GT-R 33 : Heavy, big, thirsty, too computer controlled. I bought it when they were all the hype. Regretted it in the end (should have bought an NSX instead). I pass them on the track with my DC5.

Scooby STi Mk4 Type-R : Felt faster than the Skyline, more thirsty (13Mpg), poor interior build quality (so many rattles). Accelerates so quick that the fun is over too soon and you spending more time braking in traffic than accelerating. I pass modded Scoobies on the track in the DC5. Felt like it belonged on a rally stage more than on tarmac.

DC5 : Strong Honda build quality, 30+ MPG (out side of the VTEC), good range of mods available, no turbo lag, good power-to-weight ratio, fantastic chassis / grip. Great driver feedback. Nimble in traffic. No rattles (after two years of ownership). Reasonable ride quality (infinately more motorway cruise freindly than the DC2). Tonnes of space in the boot (with or without rear seats down). So track ready. Brembos are so good. I only have problems with tweaked 911's and maxed Caterfield's on the track.

I've not managed to keep my cars more than a year in the past but I've got no desire to change my DC5. I love it too much. I may try a 993 911 if I do ever change it. I'd be giving up cheaper running costs and space to do so though.

That's my two cents worth anyhow.

Jon

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
I echo what Simon has said :!: :!:

Its all down to personal choice at the end of the day.

I can say that the couple of track days I have been too so far, that the DC5 is by far the better car with a tin hat on track. Having been behind a few scoobies through the corners etc, its quite worrying watching a them, as they lean all over the place. Were the Teg remains composed.

The only other thing to really say, if your not familiar with Honda's, you need to work them hard to get the most out of them, not being lazy like you can with forced induction.

Mike

Paul-CTR

Im looking into one of these as well, i have a EP3 atm and i love it to bits but one of my friends has just made me an offer which i'd be stupid to turn down. One of the reasons the DC5 is high on my list is because of the engine, specially when mapped by Hondata. Its hard to believe anyone would want more power. In everyday driving situations i believe it has the perfect balance between performance and mpg. The fact it looks rather sexy does it no harm either. The insurance is the only gripe imo, its hard getting a reasonable quote for it.

ps2london

Advanced Member
Rare & Eye Catching

Cheap for running at Track, no need to repair after, just change tyres, pads and engine oil.

only car i can see for track and road use ready for this sort of money, i love Lotus and Catcham, just can't treat them at normal road car......

only bad thing is the Insur, too expensive.

fenix2k

Cheers for the input all - Jonster, exactly what i was after!! The DC5 is looking better by the day.

MJ Type-r love the avatar pic/vid

spikerules

"MJ Type-r love the avatar pic/vid" Yeah I like that too... major coolness man!!

I've had rattles in my CTR since I bought it and it's getting worse.... I was the only one that could hear it at first, but now its gotten worse my bro can hear it from the passenger side.

I took it back and they said that the dash was rubbing together, so they "said" they fixed it. NO SUCH LUCK:(

I might just be paranoid....

FunkyProduct

Advanced Member
I went for a DC5 for heaps of reasons but mostly rareity. FWD does have it's limits though, and for stuff like drag racing this makes it not as good as a 4WD. My other choice would have been an Evo but decided against mainly due to purchase cost and running costs.

You do have to work the engine to get the most out of the car. I am leaning more towards turbo though because of the big gains you can make for not much money. Gotta wait for a suitable coupe turbo though - just cant bring myself to buy a saloon 4 door turbo :-/

DC5RK20A

Advanced Member
scaryprowler said:
Im defo with what Jonster said too... this is my 3rd 'R'... and the best! Each to their own tho mate.
Would you mine sharing what the other 2 Rs were?

Jon, your post gave me a huge smile. Unfortunately here on Okinawa there are no circuits to drive on and I know I am missing out bigtime with this car. Still I love it, and the playing around in the mountain passes and late night street blasts is all the fun I can muster. Thanks for the post.

Erm

Advanced Member
i chose my DC5 over an Evo 7 mainly due to it looking the nuts and costing a shedload less to run :D

Today i'm off down to kent which in an evo i'm sure i'd have to fill up again whereas in the teg i'll still have way over 1/4 tank :D more if i behave :wink:

Then there is the rarity of them over here and honda's being so damn reliable :) just keep that oil topped up!

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
DC5RK20A said:
scaryprowler said:
Im defo with what Jonster said too... this is my 3rd 'R'... and the best! Each to their own tho mate.
Would you mine sharing what the other 2 Rs were?

Jon, your post gave me a huge smile. Unfortunately here on Okinawa there are no circuits to drive on and I know I am missing out bigtime with this car. Still I love it, and the playing around in the mountain passes and late night street blasts is all the fun I can muster. Thanks for the post.
Sure...

'98 DC2 UK
'02 EP3

Have a look at my sig for pics.

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Matt,

I thought you never actually recieved your DC5? I must admit though, I realy enjoyed driving a rear wheel drive MR-2 Turbo at Bedford last time I saw you there. I really miss my EK9 Civic Type-R too. Great car. I wish I kept it long enough to bore it to a 1.8 (stroker kit).

If I ever total my DC5 I'll be very tempted to fit the engine to a Lotus :)

Jon

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
Never the less I still owned one for a while :p

Jon why don't you join me on track on the 30th August, quite handy round there now with some subtle upgrades :wink: